Thread: Puma's '68 912 resto

Puma's '68 912 resto

Hello,

I've got a rusty car, a few tools, and a decent sense of humor. So here's my '68 912 resto. Any advice or criticism is welcome.

Car as foundimage.jpg

I built a dolly after buying a welder and practicing for about twenty minutes. So let's not be too harsh on the purtiness of my welds. image.jpg

Car is nearly stripped image.jpg

QUESTION: is it absolutely necessary to remove the steering shaft for blasting?

Trunk is cleanimage.jpg

I got the wiring harness out in one piece! image.jpg

Engine compartment is doneimage.jpg

Engine grill is total disaster. Two layers of paint. The first black layer came off okay but the second red layer is really giving me trouble. I dissasembled the grill and broke two bolts. This thing is a mess. Does anyone sell replacement parts (bolts, mesh screen)? I'm worried that this thing is ruined. image.jpg

Looks better lifted off the ground....Been a lot of discussion on 68`s having black or chrome turn/wiper levers. Is your car a Euro or USA car? Also, is it an early serial number car.....cliff
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

The previous owner did go to great pains to make sure it was protected so I'm grateful for that despite the fact it was sitting on the ground. I think it's an early '68 but I'm not sure.

My car does have chrome wiper/signal levers.

Car is euro.

I hate that my thread got moved. I'm pretty sure it won't get seen as much and I won't get the insights. Anyway, I might put a 911 engine in.

I'd love to see photos of your car to use a guide.

Engine grill is total disaster. Two layers of paint. The first black layer came off okay but the second red layer is really giving me trouble. I dissasembled the grill and broke two bolts. This thing is a mess. Does anyone sell replacement parts (bolts, mesh screen)? I'm worried that this thing is ruined.

Try wrapping in a couple layers of paper towels, put in a garbage bag and pour in some lacquer thinner. Use enough to saturate the paper towels, no need for a pond. Seal up and leave for a few hours. You might have to clean and repeat, but it usually does a pretty good job. Be sure to have lots of ventilation, outside works best.

looks like you've got a lot done so far. the 'as-found' picture is great!
    Benny and the jets - My '77S Rebuild Adventure