Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 123 ignition problem.

Derm.... did you wire it the way Elferhelfer's example showed it with the CDI? Yes, there are several 356 guys that used the 123 WITH cdi. I've considered this, but not daring enough to risk blowing the 123 distributor on the 911 as their caveat about not using the cdi implies a power surge or shorting issue that the 911 version can't hold up? I've emailed them and their reply was that the 123 produces plenty of spark on its own which confused me. (I think they meant coil?) So, I'm waiting for someone like you to confirm things are working out - and hopefully, will continue to do so.

thanks,
    kj
    73 E Targa

Hi. I did wire it up as the link and it runs really well. The car hasn't been driven hard yet but all is ok, fingers crossed.

David, I have been looking through this thread as I was considering a 123 system for my '69 911S.
    What 'tried and true solutions' are you referring to? I have tried Pertronix but have had some issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    When there are other tried and true solutions, both factory and aftermarket, why would you want to try an oddball product like this?

Multiple advance curves switch is one good reason I bought mine. A CDI has been called a spark amplifier, two in series might rock like when I used to wire my guitar amplifier output into the input of another one to get that "big sound".
    Last edited by 66S; 04-18-2019 at 07:30 AM.

member #1515
    Quote Originally Posted by agbucks View Post
    David, I have been looking through this thread as I was considering a 123 system for my '69 911S.
    What 'tried and true solutions' are you referring to? I have tried Pertronix but have had some issues.
    I don't know, maybe factory CDI, PartsKlassik or Classic Retrofit. All have good solutions for 911 ignition. I've thought about Pertronic a few time, but points are cheap, easy to change out and carry such little current that I've not thought it worth the effort.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I've run the Pertronix with good results for years. The good thing about the Pertronix is it eliminates problems associated with points cam wear. It runs so well that just today I had a stumble and it was the distributer cap- The Pertronix is so dependable, the cap (and rotor) go neglected. My cap was pretty worn...

At 50 years old, most distributers need bearings checked to insure the .012 911S points gap runs true.
    Any slop in the bearings and dwell will be all over the place.

A Pertronix make all those issues go away since there is no crucial relationship between the worn cam lobes and dwell with a Hall Effect system.

Being able to set any advance curve is a big advantage to the 123 IF you know what curve is needed.

I sure would like to be able to change the curve in my Bosch distributer without messing with that circlip and related mechanicals.
    Bending the spring hooks to adjust advance sure is old school- Without a Sun Distributer Service Machine expect to mess with that gnarly circlip and a timing light for decades...

Arron at Burnham Performance can restore a distributer for you.

member #1515
    I think the classic retrofit CDI can give you any curve you desire, you block the advance on the distributor. Lots cheaper than the 123 too.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

My limited math skills tell me the 123 distributor costs lots less (369-449 Euros) than the classic retrofit cd box (795 pounds). Permatune offers a programable MOSFET replacement also. It has been a while since I got the best grade in my college calc class and knew what field effect transistors are. The guy who was second in our class and I got into a race on our way home one time on a twisty road, he had a vw rabbit and I had the 52 356 that Tippy Lipe won the 1952 Bridgehampton Nationals under 1500 race with that I had resto-modded with C running gear. Nice try.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by 66S; 04-20-2019 at 04:14 PM.

Time for update on the 123 ignition system on …
    Lets hear more comments and issues or not
    Thanks
    Frank
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)