Thread: "+" symbols in early parts book

"+" symbols in early parts book

In the very early (Dec 1964) parts book (which includes up-dates through at least 1969), there are occasionally in the Remarks column plus signs (+) used. Here is a specific example. For item #53 (screw-in rearview mirror) shown on the relevant Group 8 illustration page, the part number (901.731.010.22) is shown on page 8/11. In the Remarks column to the right of the part description the following is entered (typed as shown stacked)
    911,911S,912
    +++Coupe
    ++++Targa
    My understanding has been that the 1967 normal had a chrome back mirror, the S had a plastic surround, and the Targa yet a different plastic surround mirror. If the +'s in some way indicate differences, why is there only one part number? I searched the parts book for notation about the meaning and use of the + symbols, but found nothing. Finally, the last two questions: a) What do the plus signs signify; and b) how does one find definitive, part-numbered documentation of differences between rearview mirrors among the 1967 models? Thanks, Jim

Jim,
    Look on page III, Preface, in the 911/911S Gr. 1-RS spare parts catalogue (Dec. 1964) half way down the page, under Remark: x in column "Quantity" signifies: as required.
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry

Yes, Ernie, but it's not an "x" which I know means quantity required, it is a "+" (plus sign). Thank you for your kind response nevertheless. Jim

Jim,
    Sorry for the + and x error, I've found something in the 904 Parts book, under the remarks section column for transmission parts, it defined + as "+ = according to choice" this may be the same for symbols used in the 911 books, I would think so...
    Ernie W

Ernie,
    Thank you for the time you are spending on this. Perhaps we are getting closer with a "+" meaning "according to choice". But the mystery remains why, under the remarks column, there are 3 plusses before coupe, and 4 before Targa. As printed: +++Coupe
    ++++Targa
    Again, this pertains to the (commonly held?) argument that at least for 1967 there were (3) different mirrors for depending on the model: 912/911 (same) vs. 911S vs Targa. So the puzzle is why does the parts book show only one part number?

The parts book + symbol

Jim,
    Your answer to the parts book enigma question, The plus symbol " + " is used in the remarks column so the reader can determine which part goes with which model along with when the part change was made. Your example of the rear view mirror, item 53 in the illustration 8/11, is listed on page 10, it shows +++ coupe and ++++ targa. If you go over to page 13 in the description column, the definition of " +++ coupe " is listed, and it tells you which VIN number the mirror was first used on, along with " up to chassis numbers " then on page 14, the definition of " ++++ targa " is listed and gives the chassis numbers up to for the targa. The amount of + symbols used in the Group is according to the amount of footnotes used in that Group.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Ernie W

So the + sign is basically an asterisk (*)...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Ernie,
    You hit the home run. Thank you for your persistence on this. I think I am not the only one to have learned from your effort. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie W View Post
    Jim,
    Your answer to the parts book enigma question, The plus symbol " + " is used in the remarks column so the reader can determine which part goes with which model along with when the part change was made. Your example of the rear view mirror, item 53 in the illustration 8/11, is listed on page 10, it shows +++ coupe and ++++ targa. If you go over to page 13 in the description column, the definition of " +++ coupe " is listed, and it tells you which VIN number the mirror was first used on, along with " up to chassis numbers " then on page 14, the definition of " ++++ targa " is listed and gives the chassis numbers up to for the targa. The amount of + symbols used in the Group is according to the amount of footnotes used in that Group.
    +1 from me (pun intended) as always Ernie has it right....
    H