Thread: Porsche Parade Concours 2016- Part 2: On the Lawn, or "Show vs. Go".

Porsche Parade Concours 2016- Part 2: On the Lawn, or "Show vs. Go".

continuing from here... http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-Driving-There

. . . we arrived at the Jay Peak Resort around 9:00 a.m. Sunday. . . by that point the indoor prep was full, but I ended up with a good spot on the second floor of the parking garage with a nice breeze. Unfortunately the breeze was also the carrier of a fine yellow pollen that is EVERYWHERE in the north country this time of year. . . just another challenge to deal with.

I looked around for Damon, he was at the Hotel entering the Art Display! Remember when I said he was part artist? He calls it "Ferry's Wheel."

I am rendered speechless.

Name:  ferrys wheel.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  63.9 KB

Back at Concours prep, I jacked up each corner and cleaned all the dirt out of the wheel wells, a million places for it to hide. Also, because restorations are never finished, I took the opportunity to install some correct Bosch horns that I found a couple years ago and restored. . . these replaced the modern repros which were very good, but say "MADE IN TAIWAN" in about 72 point type. . . the original horns actually worked, I was pleased.

Name:  jacked up.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  92.9 KB

Following the Judges meeting and the Pirelli Welcome Party, I cleaned the car until around 10:30 p.m., then we decided to head for the hotel, given a 5:30 a.m. staging time. After a protracted search for the condo using the 959 Tribute on dirt roads and some late night assembly of the "show" version of the headlights (original buckets with perfect gray paint, lenses with the bumps on the correct side), we settled in for a nice long four hour rest. . . staging came early the next day.

Name:  staged.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  153.5 KB

Once I had the car staged, I switched over to the original voltage regulator, coil and to the original, but defective, Beru wires. This took about fifteen minutes and the engine was ready to show.

Name:  engine.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  103.2 KB

Just for fun. . . here is the original condition of the engine from 2004. . .

Name:  1966 911 Michigan 004.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  120.4 KB

The Judges breakfast was at 7:00 a.m., I took the opportunity to put on my only remaining clean shirt. Great to see many old friends and make new ones. The show opened at 8:30 but before my own judging of PP04S and T (74-89 911 Touring (exterior interior engine but no undercarriage) and Street (exterior interior only) could begin, I was called to open my own car for judging.

Name:  judging.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  154.0 KB

So began the "long five minutes" when all the work and preparation comes down to the score sheets. I ended up doing very well on originality, with most deductions for preparation. . . should have taken Saturday to prep. . . big areas were interior dust and some oil leaks on the undercarriage rear (my judge, a super nice guy, said the car was dripping on him as he was judging! Doh!) This was the result of 90 degree weather, the aforementioned oil line removal, changing out the oil filter for the Red Purolator and residual oil from the FOUR flywheel seal changes! I scored 292 points and the "Weissach" level of achievement which was good for an unopposed class win. I would have appreciated some more competition, but half of life is just showing up, and "getting there" can be a challenge!

Back at the show, Damon was positioned in the Historic Display and was drawing a nice crowd around the car.

Name:  stealing the show.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  146.4 KB

He had the car open from time to time, the level of detail for a Tribute is amazing, right down to the rally computers.

Name:  959 interior.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  102.8 KB

Also in the historic display was a beautiful '66 restored by Dave DiMaria, really nice car.

Name:  daves.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  114.1 KB

My own judging assignment began, not for originality but for preparation. . .got to meet a lot of nice owners and see a lot of nice cars very close up! The nicest one was this Turbo Look, original owner, with a brown gut, really nicely presented:

Name:  brown turbo.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  94.0 KB
    Last edited by 304065; 06-26-2016 at 05:13 AM.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

With the Class win posted, I was then eligible for re-judging for the second round. The PCRs eliminated the "division" category- so the class winners are all judged a second time for the finals.

Name:  rejudging.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  134.3 KB

With rejudging complete, I put back the "driver" coil, voltage regulator and Clewett wires, packed the car and hit the road south, a six hour drive ahead.

As darkness fell and I neared the New York/Vermont border, I flipped on the headlights. . . and electrical challenge #3 presented itself. The starboard headlight was out, and the port one was pointing at the ground six feet in front of the car.

When I assembled the "driver" headlights with the powder coated buckets, "smooth" glass and the reproduction rings, I didn't have the opportunity to aim them. So the first order of business was to find a spot to pull over-- a local garden center off Route 7 offered a vertical wall and the left one aimed up in about 10 seconds. The right one was more of a challenge-- one of the rubber bushings had let go, allowing the cannon plug to contact the sheet metal, which popped the fuse.

Name:  broken light.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  127.2 KB

Swapping out lights was easier than digging out the meter. . . a quick switch to the "show" light verified the popped fuse.

Now, where was I going to get a pack of ceramic fuses? Oh wait a minute, I have two boxes of "PUDENZ" fuses from the concours tool kit!

Name:  pudenz.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  63.1 KB

The fuse was quickly replaced and the headlight changed out.

Name:  aglow.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  70.3 KB

The electrical G_s were appeased: I drove the remaining three hours in the dark with no issues, another Parade in the books, another great experience.

As Harry Pellow used to say about 356s, "A Good 356 NEVER breaks down anywhere except your driveway or where and when it knows there's a better part around that you'll eventually find." One could say the same about a good early 911. . . while they demand attention, the rewards they offer are the greatest in the world of Porsche, a pure, visceral drive that must be experienced to be appreciated. There is nothing like it.

Name:  going home.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  59.3 KB
    Last edited by 304065; 06-24-2016 at 06:54 AM.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Congrats, John and nice to see you again.
    Car looked great.
    ds

Very much enjoyed reading this, thank you.

Also reminds me that I have exactly the wrong temperament to attempt this. Fantastic how many ways there are to enjoy the same basic hobby.
    1972 Porsche 911T - 2.7 RS pistons and rods, weber carbs, solex camshaft - stupidly sold and deeply missed...

Great story John, and nice meeting you.
    Thought you might mention that Damon and Dave drove his tribute car to,California and back!

Was this the 911 normal in restoration class? If so, I would have been your only competition. I registered and payed online but arrived after registration closed on Sunday. I was not allowed to enter the event (my car wasn't the only one). I made the false assumption that by registering online that I was in the event. My first Parade, it's my fault. Beautiful car, I would have enjoyed competing against you.
    David

911 S Registry # 1054
    1970 911 E Coupe Signal Orange (#1414)
    1979 BMW 320i
    2001 Boxster S
    2003 Audi Allroad 2.7T Tiptronic
    2014 Jetta Sportwagon TDI DSG ( sold back to Volkswagen)
    2015 Allroad 2.0 TFSI

I think I saw your car on the green, but way off to the side. Beautiful car, I was wondering what was up .

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell View Post
    I think I saw your car on the green, but way off to the side. Beautiful car, I was wondering what was up .
    Yes, that was me. Thanks for the compliment.
    David

911 S Registry # 1054
    1970 911 E Coupe Signal Orange (#1414)
    1979 BMW 320i
    2001 Boxster S
    2003 Audi Allroad 2.7T Tiptronic
    2014 Jetta Sportwagon TDI DSG ( sold back to Volkswagen)
    2015 Allroad 2.0 TFSI