Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1966 Porsche 911 Sold for $ 49,500 at Auction's America

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    K must be sharing his resin with you Marco.

Market on a rebuilt complete Solex motor is close to 50 large.
    Show me the money, Frank.

I can tell from the photos that whomever owned that car didn't put anywhere near $50K into that motor. Are we even looking at the same car? I wouldn't expect the flipper of that car to have done anything more than the absolute bare minimum (if that) to get the car to a point where it ran and showed well enough to sell.

The car is a turd.

Consider it well bought and well sold.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Banned
    Grasshopper, I'm getting weary of having to school you but alas, it is my civic duty.

I never said it wasn't a turd. Big difference between a Type 4 and Type 7 on the Bristol Stool Chart. This car is a solid Type 4.

As far as motor; I said close to 50. Let's do the math youngster:

Solex core motor with air filter assembly: $25k
    Rebuild: 12-25k (Judging by the horrible cosmetics I would put this one toward the bottom.)

Now it becomes a matter of someone's interpretation of "close to 50."

Post just one wood dash 911 complete with Solex system in any condition for anywhere near 50k that has come on the market in the last 18 months and I may reconsider my position.

A reflection of the market; the other early 911s at this auction missed their 'low auction estimate numbers'.

1973 2.4L 911E Targa - $79,750 (Auction Estimate: US$125,000 - $150,000)
    1973.5 2.4L 911T Coupe - $62,700 (Auction Estimate: US$80,000 - $110,000)

The prices reflect over zealous estimates of unremarkable examples.

Anyone know the VIN of the 1966 911?
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Grasshopper, I'm getting weary of having to school you but alas, it is my civic duty.

I never said it wasn't a turd. Big difference between a Type 4 and Type 7 on the Bristol Stool Chart. This car is a solid Type 4.

As far as motor; I said close to 50. Let's do the math youngster:

Solex core motor with air filter assembly: $25k
    Rebuild: 12-25k (Judging by the horrible cosmetics I would put this one toward the bottom.)

Now it becomes a matter of someone's interpretation of "close to 50."

Post just one wood dash 911 complete with Solex system in any condition for anywhere near 50k that has come on the market in the last 18 months and I may reconsider my position.
    There's nothing solid about this turd, Frank.

We can only speculate on this book by scanning the cover. What I see is a book that's been on the library shelves for a decade too long and someone thought they could hit a home run at a book drive where the rest of the books were selling for a nickel.

Garbage price for a garbage car. Flipper probably bought it for 25, spent 10 making it go, and made near 20. The buyer got a runner/driver for under $50K.

Well sold and well bought.

Class is out for summer and I don't need to make up credits. I passed math.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

It says it had a COA but it Did not say it was matching. Every auction house knows better than that and IMO the only time a house doesn't publish a detailed description e.g. condition of the pan and all else, is when they are putting lipstick on a pig. The bottom was probably swiss cheese and you can see the bad body work through the paint.

The only car I have ever seen with the torsion covers bondo'ed over so they are missing. Car painted candy apple red. That should give an idea what we have here. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Frank - Motors are the same price here in FL. $50,000 for a Solex engine.

Richard Newton
    Air Filters That Actually Work

I mean, the math adds up quick.

$40k (for the sake of argument)
    $3k Fuchs
    $2k steering wheel
    $1k gauges
    $1k dash trim
    $1.5k seats
    (My guesstimates may be a little off but probably on the lower end)

And my hands aren't even dirty taking it apart yet.

If that isn't convincing.... I believe you can easily get a profit off the rest of it....

http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1...912-c-5027.htm
    Porsche taste on a Volkswagen budget...

Banned
    That pic never gets old.

Poster car for the "rot rod" look.

Bingo Jos.
    People keep looking at this '66 911 as a whole car.

Instead, drink a beer, squint your eyes, and get a little creative. I just sold a '66 rolling chassis that was arguably more challenged for $10k. Add up entire expense including buyer's premium and someone still made at least $10k plus got some free parts out of the deal.

That blue 912 is the PILE of the century.
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue