Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got lucky....

I got lucky....

About ten years ago I was offered a 2.4 S engine from a friend who ran a shop. Engine was complete, price was fair, but I had no use for it...so of course I bought it any way. I pickled it with no immediate use for it...maybe I would find a 2.4 S roller project some day. Over the years I have been approached to sell the engine, but have declined...who knows, maybe a 2.4 S roller will surface that needs an engine. About five years ago I was contacted by my friend who said he thought he knew where the original chassis was...but the owner was aware of the market values and was reluctant to sell. Bit by bit over the last several years I would occasionally ask about the intention of the owner of the roller. Seems as though the higher prices went, the less inclined the owner was to part with the chassis. I was not optimistic. The owner wanted to bring the chassis back...but the necessary funds were lacking. I kept asking periodically, and about a year ago gave up pursuit. A month ago my friend notified me that the owner was ready to sell...totally out of the blue. Did I want it...hmm We negotiated a fair price and the funds were sent. The chassis is in fact a 72 S targa. Chassis looks dry, complete and solid. I am happy with a targa, and very pleased that it is a one year 72 body. I just finished up the restoration of a Gemini Blue 70 T softie, and while they have issues, targas are unique. I am sending off for the COA to see exactly what I have...and exactly what it had when it left the factory. Details and pics forthcoming.
    Stuff happens...don't give up!

Speedo
    registry# 1283

Congrats!!! .... and cheers on your perseverance
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Awesome and if that speedster find wasnt cool enough.
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

Congrats- endeavor to persevere!
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Very good! These things still happen, and they make my day a little better when I read about it. Congrats!

Erik

Banned
    Nice Lars.

I suspect we'll see a few cars come out of the clutches of their long time owners now that the market has flat-lined.

Frank
    Smart move many years ago.
    Congrats on the marriage .
    Frank T
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

What market has flat-lined, Cousin Frankie?

Do you really wanna be the lead Sheep that everyone follows (Human Nature Porsche sellers and buyers do) that are known for leading the "Sheep" into WTF status, when some Dude is having trouble selling his really original 911 that has been crashed and don't forget all rust repair, fixed by Earl and the boys by the railroad tracks!.....naaaaa!

No Frank, The market has not Flat-lined as you say...the goods ones are still fetching what they should sell for....ok maybe no records but still in tune for what they should be worth...."hardly a Flat-line ehh!"

Seem to remember what I just paid for a Fiat 600...I had to pay this guy way too much but i did it and I hope the guy doesn't say that market is flat too!!

Now to stay Topic related.....I have a few original 911S engines, that some day I will post the numbers and maybe ....just maybe, someone will have the car they belong to!

KJ

Banned
    Who got married?

K, you stole my little pasta wagon!

I stand by my comment. Unlike you I actually sell some of my cars and prices are down.
    But for those entertaining a purchase I would not wait too long... I think this may be a small blip.

Just for the record...I paid what I thought was a fair price....even if someone thought I paid too much....I didn't think so and that's all that matters!

On the Humorous side....you did include all the original docs and stories about the "Spaghetti Special" and in the mix of photos there was the old "for sale" sign offering the car for no less than 7k from what I paid....I'm always up front when selling or buying....so I actually thought it was pretty funny that you included that in the pile.....No Big deal!!......we have already turned it into a "Martini" rally car....its too cute when finished!!

I wouldn't sell that 912 if I were you!!!!!!!! o-yea don't chop it up either............