Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: source needed - RSR muffler

source needed - RSR muffler

after a RSR muffler like this to get my car on the road , bolt on to std headers . Patrick motorsport only do ups del at the wayyyyyy over the top cost , who else has them
    http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/pa...sr-wide-style/
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook
    "Funding my obsession one nut at a time"

You can buy an R Muffler from Dansk. As for fitting it up to stock headers, you'll have to fabricate that part like Patrick would.

Armando Serrano http://www.pbase.com/9146gt has done this conversion using Dansk muffler for his 914/6 GT but that one is still utilizing the megaphone style extensions off of headers and clamped to the back just like the "days of old".

Good luck.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Or you could make your own as I did. You do need to cut out the baffles inside. I used 2 1/2" tubing for the pipes, they need to be large to look like the 'R'.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

There you go! Have Ed build it.

PS:

Ed: What are you using on the back of the glass bumper for heat control? I've seen a few white ones that are now brownish.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Ed, can you share your procedure for cutting out the baffles? I have a muffler I would like to do this to. Thanks.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

just doing that now to a muffler i started , we will see how it goes
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook
    "Funding my obsession one nut at a time"

Quote Originally Posted by t6dpilot View Post
    Ed, can you share your procedure for cutting out the baffles? I have a muffler I would like to do this to. Thanks.

Pretty sure Ed did it this way per Upfixin' Der Porsche.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

The centers were already cut out as I started with an old sport muffler done as per that diagram. but for the outlets at the very ends of the muffler also involved cutting holes in the end baffles in the same fashion,,,ie. thru the holes you'll cut for the pipe outlets.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

We did the opposite, re-manufactured an R to a GT Rally Muffler. You can see part of the metal-surgery in the photos posted below, and the rest can be found here

Back in 2006, there were NO "914-6 GT" Rally mufflers available, OEM, or Reproductions. That said, there was an "R" / "RSR" type Rally Muffler available and I took advantage of it.
    At the time, the natural thing for me to do was to convert the R repro muffler to a GT and this is now history. To my recollection, we were the first to actually make this GT muffler conversion. A few years later the GT reproduction mufflers appeared.

Take a look...

Name:  2016-07-18_23-07-52.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  117.9 KB

Both exhaust tubes were removed, leaving their respective large holes.

Name:  2016-07-18_23-08-32.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  76.7 KB

Holes covered...

Name:  2016-07-18_23-12-57.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  75.2 KB

and perfectly finished.

Name:  2016-07-18_23-14-22.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  71.9 KB

This next photo shows the relocation of the exhaust pipes, moved in closer, a la 914-6 GT.

Name:  2016-07-18_23-09-17.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  85.2 KB

Side-by-side comparison of an OEM and the new repro GT muffler.
    Owning an original 914-6 GT muffler (at bottom of pix) sure made the conversion a bit easier.

Name:  2016-07-18_23-10-29.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  97.2 KB

Extremely happy with the results.

Name:  2016-07-18_23-09-57.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  90.5 KB

Cost effective? Heck NO! It was probably the most expensive 914-6 GT reproduction muffler ever produced. Not doing that again!

My suggestion? Buy this GT Muffler and reverse my process.

Name:  2016-07-18_23-32-47.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  62.5 KB

The 914-6 GT repro mufflers are very inexpensive these days, Euro 651? Wow!!!

I believe paying around $2,500 back in 2006, just for the R repro muffler we transformed, that was my price of admission.

Finding the skill-set required to do the same, that may pose a bit of a challenge, and it won't be cheap.