Thread: SWB question

SWB question

For what years was the VIN stamped on body parts?
    The reason I ask is I have 2 doors a right and a left with stamped #
    100 and 31.
    Minor rust certainly fixable but it seems you can't give doors away.
    Is it different for SWB doors?
    I don't need them but perhaps someone with those numbered cars is looking for their original doors.
    Otherwise off to the dump.
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

I believe 68 was the last year.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

The problem with doors is that they are all basically the same, except for the stamping of the inner panel, which is not really a problem because it is covered up. So people try to pick the best condition door. One common problem is when the door is opened too far and the outer skin becomes concave near the front... This is not easy to fix.

Early fenders, on the other hand... now those are worth some money.

SV

Understood, but does the stamped # impart value to a specific car.
    I know in the 356 world it does.
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

The problem is Bob that it is only the last 3 digits of the chassis number
    and so there is more than one chassis number with those last 3 digits.

Oh well, if nobody wants them off to the scrapper.
    Need space in the barn got my next project

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  87.3 KB
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

Bob, you might want to give this a little time to sink in to the readers...

100 could be from 300 100 or 301 100 or 302 100 and so on.

On the other hand - two digit numbers would only be from cars less than 100.
    So door # 31 could only come from a 901 car 300 031 or possibly a very early 912.

Do you have any photos of the doors or the window frames to help with the identification.

Early door frames had two screws holding the channel above the wing window, while 1965 had three larger screw in that same spot.
    The car 300 100 would have two small (same size as the 356) and car 301 100 would be the larger size three screws.

Can someone build a car around a door, maybe, or maybe not. ( Car #31 is not on anyones "known car" list....)

Food for thought!
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Well Bob, your comments are exactly why I posted in the first place.
    My 356 project is # matching excepting 1 door which is un-numbered.
    I'd give anything to have the original.
    Forgot about the 912 though.
    I'll take a look at the bolt hole patterns you mention and post some pictures.
    No frames though, just the doors.
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

Your door still may be original. There is strong speculation that only the doors that had to have customization to fit an opening were stamped so they could be returned to same location. Same for fenders. My 65 has both doors with original blue in the door panels and only one is stamped. I know these are OG doors. Same with the fender my driver is stamped same as door and the passenger is not stamped same as door. I know both front fenders are also the real deal with original blue.

With 356s the numbers are important, because each door was hand fit to the body. Sometimes doors from different cars will not fit at all. On the other hand, Porsche had apparently had enough of that nonsense and doors are widely interchangeable on 911/912. In fact you probably cannot tell whether someone has replaced a door or not from the outside. Again, early doors had some detail work around the area where the window frames fit in that is not present on later doors, but the overall value depends on condition.

SV