Thread: engine, chain box and fan finishing help

engine, chain box and fan finishing help

OK I have a complete shell now , it rolls, brake, steers, and all the electrical has been sorted out , final step , now to the engine

all the tins are powder coated , fastner plated etc

I pulled out the case , chain box, fan and housing etc , degreased it all , a good soap and water clean after the solvent so its all clean now but it looks like junk

I have seen treads about refinishing the fans , but there is no conclusive recipe to achieved the " original " or close finish

there are people who polish it ,
    there are people who media blast ( but what media) soda, walnut shells , glass beads, CO2, cat litter ? but which is best and also DIY, CO2 not being it

then what do you cover the magnesium with to preserve the hard work , I have seen the chromate dip to give the yellow tint , but no recipe, which chromate ( Na, Ca, K etc ) concentration , time etc , , I am a chemical engineer and have access to the chemicals

some other type of sealer, grease based ( cosmoline and related )

could you powder coat the box/ fan and cover close to the right color , would it stay , ( obviously the case itself is not feasible )

also are the cam covers and intake manifold black ?

thanks for the help

Yves
    now on the road 914-6
    now in the shop for concourse resto 11850275 S SWT
    daily driver B8 S4 stage 2

1) Probably best posted in the "technical" section.
    2) There are many threads on the subject.
    3) If I'm recalling correctly the consensus is:
    a) Get the part clean.
    b) Bring the part to a uniform finish (many choices and opinions, but generally speaking use a technique that's the least aggressive, yet leaves a nice uniform native finish.
    c) Now - To "preserve" the finish: Overall, the consensus is to use Gibbs penetrating oil. Kinda of like WD-40 on steroids.
    ...also, that's what I did and it worked great.

You'll find a lot of information with a basic search.

Good luck!!
    Bill
    1969 911T - sold
    2001 911 Turbo - sold
    1996 911 C4S - returned
    1982 911SC - gone
    1960 356 Roadster - sold