Thread: Hood Emblem Cloissone Restoration

Hood Emblem Cloissone Restoration

I recall reading that an Australian fellow by the name of Heywood did first class hood cloissone emblem restoration. I also recall reading that he passed away a few years ago.

These days, where are folks sending hood emblems to be restored? I have a couple in poor condition and one that needs a new pin soldered on.

If you could post their contact info, cost and perhaps a photo with your reply, that would be great!

Thanks!
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    Early 911S Registry # 512

I haven't heard of any unfortunately. I have tried to get a jeweler to solder a pin back on, but he didn't seem too optimistic.

Hopefully someone knows a good resource.

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Karla Maxwell does very nice work.

http://www.maxwellenamels.com/

Also, my local jewelry repair shop regularly reattaches pins for me. I'd try another shop.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    Karla Maxwell does very nice work.

http://www.maxwellenamels.com/

Also, my local jewelry repair shop regularly reattaches pins for me. I'd try another shop.
    What did Karla charge you to restore your badge and can you post a photo or two?

Who is your "local" jeweler?
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C

Quote Originally Posted by Neil '67 911S View Post
    What did Karla charge you to restore your badge and can you post a photo or two?

Who is your "local" jeweler?
    I've seen Karla's work in person but she's never done a badge for me. I'll be using her when I run out of the NOS badges I have tucked away. I think she charged $425 for the orange bar badge I saw that she had done. That was a couple years back. The work was very good.

I don't use a local jeweler. I use a local jewelry repair shop. Big difference. The shop I'm using now is Lane Wells in Austin but I've used others in the past with equally good results. I've never been turned away. At most they've asked me if I was concerned that the repair process might damage the enamel and I've always responded that the enamel will be fine and it always was. It's not rocket science. Any competent jewelry repair professional should be able to handle it in a few minutes.

Thanks for the info and the tip. Yes, the jeweler I went to said exactly the same regarding enamel. I didn't push it, as I figured I'd be better off trying elsewhere.

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

The glass enamel melts at 1400 degrees and lead solder at 621 they would really have to nuke it to damage the enamel. Just hot enough to solder it and you are fine

LFNY,

Thanks for sharing all this good data. I'm sure there must be a competent jewelry repair company in Boston.

Recently I learned that the emblem pins from an old 356C/SC hubcap are the same as the pins on the back of the hood emblems.
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C

Quote Originally Posted by Neil '67 911S View Post
    LFNY,

Thanks for sharing all this good data. I'm sure there must be a competent jewelry repair company in Boston.

Recently I learned that the emblem pins from an old 356C/SC hubcap are the same as the pins on the back of the hood emblems.
    Happy to help, guys.