Thread: Do more or less matching wheels matter much ?

Do more or less matching wheels matter much ?

Here's my current dilemma: I am going to put my wife's 912 for sale shortly (I'm keeping the 72 911T). Space issues, somewhat redundant cars (looks wise anyway)...Variety, spice of life, etc !

My wife's 912 currently rides on the 911's original wheels - the steelies it has before were just too heavy. The 911 fuchs seem to be original 6x15s, dated 11/71 for 3x of them and 5/71 for the 4th. Decent match for a 72 model year, no? Didn't check the spare (car is in storage facility, see storage issues ;-) If it's 11-71 as well, I got a matched set, otherwise a pretty close set.

Now my 911 rides currently on a set of "probably mismatched" 6x15s that I bought from Harvey as a spare set (without specifying year, just size, so it's my bad - not his) and had him refinish them "RSR frosted" a few years back. They look *beautiful*. The original 911 wheels (again, currently on the 912) are "OK", nowhere near as nice. Refinished by me with spray can black and deanodized with steel wool. Decent. Not "Harvey" level.

My initial thought was that the 912 looks immensely prettier and rides a lot better on fuchs than on steelies, so I was going to swap back and put the 911 set back on the 911T for originality and....ugh.... give the 912 the pretty frosted fuchs (shudder). Then upclose I got reminded they are really a lot less pretty than the Harvey set, and not 100% date matched (unless that sort of thing happened and a 5-71 wheel was hanging around)

Would you say having the more or less matched set original to the car (possibly 4 if lucky with the spare) is a good thing, or is it "wheels are consumable, Fuchs are so old they are all about to fail, whatever" kinda deal... I could keep both, I get that... But I put the 912 back on steelies tonight and it looks like $%$#% and the steering feels number than my mouth after a dentist shot. Much easier sale on Fuchs methink... Wondering what set to keep for sure, I might keep both but if a buyer insists on a set of fuchs, I might offer the spare set as "optional" to the purchase, so I gotta decide... Opinions ? Keep the uglier original, keep the pretty Weidman wheels, doesn't matter much, matters a lot ?
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

You will forever regret getting rid of your original rollers. People kill for those. Keep them both and off the 912 with the steelies or buy a set of fakey mc fuchs for it. Really it is getting harder and harder to put match set together. It will only get worse.

This isn't even hard.

Original is always best.

Richard Newton
    Garage Fires

Ok, noted... It is harder than it looks when you are faced with pretty wheels in person.. I suppose the perfect solution is to send the original wheels to be "harvey'ed" as well but that takes a long time and driving on steelies for a year is not my thing... I'm going to sell the car on steelies and keep both sets of fuchs, the hell with this ;-)
    Thanks !
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

You have chose wisely Grass hopper