Thread: Dial colors for 1968 911

Dial colors for 1968 911

I am about to send my instruments off to be cleaned, calibrated and returned to the factory color. The PO had them changed to white/black but I'd like them to be original. I have been told 2 different colors for 1968 911. Production date was mid July 1968. Either black dial face with white lettering or black dial face with green lettering.

The car is a 1968 911 Karmann Sportomatic and the project is very close to complete. Paint next then a full new interior. So far every thing on the car was there when it left the factory and it will be painted the factory color, Ossi Blue. So, I'd like to get the instrument dials the right color as well.

Thanks for your help!

Tony
    Tony
    68 Sporto Project
    2016 Boxster

Hey Tony, pictures please!!

Black on white lettering is correct for a 68. Like this 68S set

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...576#post885576

~J~
    air cooled only

As Jules stated, 1968 was the first year of black gauges with white letters. And this look continued through the rest of the early 911 model year series and beyond.

Name:  68 gauges.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  105.9 KB
    Photo Credit: "juche_namja"
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

Thanks, black and white wins. As far as pictures all I have to take pictures of is a shell with no window glass but with lots of various colors of primer thanks to the PO. The engine is at the mechanics shop after a complete tear down and rebuild. The paint/body shop owner is a longtime Porsche owner and has developed such a reputation that European owners ship their cars to him for body work and paint. About 14 months ago I got my name on his 2 year waiting list for full paint job. At that time he repaired various body problems and put me on his list. There is a little more body work, like removing evidence of a dealer installed A/C, etc. Then paint. I'll take pictures as progress allows.
    Tony
    68 Sporto Project
    2016 Boxster