Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Monterey Car Week through JZG's lens

Another set of various older cars, starting with 3 images of a 1930 Morgan Super Aero three-wheeler, " Old Red" as it's called, which the current owner has been racing in more than 50 events since 1996.

The last 4 photos, #7 through 10, are of a 1927 Type 37A Gran Prix car, initially purchased, owned and raced by Baron Phillipe de Rothschild with very colorful, successful racing provenance at the Targa Florio and a 2nd overall at the 24hrs. of LeMans. One of 290 cars of this model designation made, of which 78 were the 2 liter, 3-valve, 4-cylinder super-charged version, such as this one - all major components are original.
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Continuing with some more of the older , interesting vintage racers which add so much of the charm and fascination to this absorbing hobby. Photo #3 is of another Bugatti, this time a 1926 Type 39A, a 1500cc 3valve, supercharged, 8-cylinder Grand Prix car once owned by Malcom Campbell, who placed 2nd at the British GP with it at Brooklands in '26. He felt the original alloy wheels weren't up to dealing with the rough track, therfore replaced them with wire wheels..............how times have changed.

Moving on to the many Porsches at the Reunion.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 09-23-2016 at 08:09 AM.

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

Carrying on with the Porsches, and with a Speed Yellow longhood in particular, which at first sight appeared to be a nicely done specimen, but then I saw the flares and got all tripped up..........they're definitely not correct SC pieces because the width of the flat surface isn't constant throughout the entire arc, and they're most certainly not correct RS flares because of the sharp edge, instead of the softly rounded transition from the vertical flat to the body of the flare So just what are we looking at here ?

Photos #8, 9 & 10 - a 4.0 liter GT3 Cup car with a front compartment that looks a lot more like like something NASA created, not a race car - and impressive specs. Wonderful.

....and more Porsches still. This is an abbreviated set of 9 photos because I don't want to keep the next set of images of one extremely interesting and signifficant Porsche intact, and not split them up among two sets of images.........a personal eccentricity.

Another short set of 9, but of a very special car. It's a series of images of the recently carefully and sympathetically refurbished, actual ex-Donohue '73 Porsche 917 / 30, Ser.# 917 / 30 - 003. It's been frequently referred to and described as probably the most famous race car of all, with enviable provenance: '73 season Can-Am championship season winner, winning 5 of 7 races, closed course record holder, etc.

It's the first time I've had the privilege of seeing this jewel stripped of its body, to be able to see and appreciate the engineering masterwork of packaging this beast into the devastatingly effective and utterly dominant icon it became in the hands of the Penske / Donohue combination. A real treat !
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 09-03-2016 at 04:27 AM.

During the lunch hour recess, when there are no cars on track, someone sang the national anthem and a lone WW II plane performed a flyover.

Photos #9 & 10 are the first two images of part of a three car stationary CAN-AM display, with each car accompanied by a wall hanging describing the car's spacs and provenance. The other two cars are in the next set.

.....and on to the next set.

re photo #9: if I had to get around the pits often and quickly, I couldn't think of a more pleasant solution.

#10 - the latest Jaguar F - Type iteration at the manufacturer's display.

Pride of place at the Ford manufacturer's display went to the original '63 Lola GT, designed by Eric Broadley with a Ford small-block V-8, which essentially was the forerunner of the in-house designed Ford GT which won LeMans three time running a few years later. Race-winning Ford GT's were the featured subject at the Pebble Beach Concours this year.

Photo #9 - Derek and Mrs.Bell on a walk-about - legends, drivers and famous folks were 'thick on the ground' on Saturday.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 09-03-2016 at 05:21 PM.

Moving on to Italian cars..........in the paddock and on the track.

Another set of the Italian machinery............some beautiful and interesting cars.