Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Monterey Car Week through JZG's lens

Just unbelievable
    Dale Thero S Registry # 200

A 'short' set of eight to finish up the Porsche portion of the first Saturday of Car Week...........but wait, there's lots more.

Image #6 shows Ron Goodman and the entire crew posing in front of their very popular pit area with Ron's fast and immaculately well-prepared bent-windshield '54 356.

Photo # 7 shows Ron in the Corkscrew succesfully holding off a Ferrari 250 SWB - this car is a treat to look at and inordinately fast. Thank you for the beautiful new T-Shirt, Ron !

Photo # 8 - neat and interesting cars kept coming all day long - the main entrance as used on Saturday and Sunday during the Pre-Reunion.
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Moving on to the 'other-than-Porsche' content in the unusually well attended Pre Reunion Saturday with a series of 5 imagers of one of the cleanest, fastest and best-prepared '59 Chevrolet powered Listers............with a full Hilborn injection set-up. What a magnificent car, and the sound of the high-compression small-block Chevy sends shivers up your spine.

Continuing with a random variety of Can-Am and other machines.

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

Some more random images from the pits.

The name sponsor of Laguna Seca, MAZDA had a manufacturer's disply in the middle of the pits featuring current offerings and a couple of specimens from far more interesting motorsports efforts of the past. When you pay to have your name over the main entrance you can do that.

Photos #5 & 6 are of a immaculate and well-prepared Caddilac-powered '50 Allard J-2 Le Mans.........beautiful.

Photos #7 & 8 of a '65 Lotus Elan ( from Brasil ) with Le Mans provenance.

Please sir, I'd like some more........................Great as always.

Not to worry.......there'll be much more.

To continue, three images of a '70 Chevron B-16 Can-Am project, significant for the then-innovative way of resolving airflow issues over the rear fenders during the era when modern motorsports aerodynamics became a driving element of race car design, and no doubt heavily influenced by John Wyers' work with the 'Kurtzheck' ( short-tail ) 917.

The remainder of the images in this set are all of a charming, wonderfully nostalgic '38 Aston-Martin Ulster 2-liter - perfectly suited for spirited & sporting road use as an open GT weekend Touring car............. Oh, to be thirty years younger.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 09-07-2016 at 07:42 PM.

Carrying on with images of some British cars.

The final image is of the classic DOHC in-line, long-stroke six-cylinder motor in the dark red '58 Aston-Martin Coupe.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 08-25-2016 at 11:32 AM.

Wow
    Thanks so much for posting your photos John

....and pressing on with some more British models.

A random set of images of various details and fun snapshots to relieve the monotony of one landscape format photo after another of stationary cars. I promised no pontificating, but I can't help observing that in my view it's the little diversions and details, moments and unexpected encounters, both human and machanical, that add so much to the fabric and general ambiance of a really great vintage meet like this. This aspect of the hobby is particularly evident at the Reunion at Laguna Seca with its almost completely unrestricted access to the cars and pits, especially during the Pre-Reunion weekend ......so long as you don't get in the way.

Photos # 6 through 10 are all of the impressive 99-year old 1917 Hall-Scott 'The Four' A-7A REO chassis-equipped race car specially designed and built to compete in the prestigious Vanderbilt Cup race. San Francisco based Elbert Hall started building cars in 1905, but the 1906 earthquake wiped him out, after which he joined forces with Colonel Scott, and Hall-Scott built 4 & 6 cyl. motors for the Army-Air Corps biplanes. Hall was also involved with Duesenberg and Harry Miller in high-performance engine development. Seems like the bulk of American motorsport developoment in those days was the work of a small & exclusive group of folks to whom we owe a lot.

The car shown is powered by a 10-liter capacity 4-cyl. motor developng 110 HP and 428 ft.lbs of torque, by coincidence the same as a modern Viper motor.

That's a spare engine on the stand. The car weighs 2900 pounds. The car was faithfully restored in the first part of the 21st century to look exactly as it did in its racing hayday, and has since raced at Goodwood and various European Classics venues.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 09-07-2016 at 07:46 PM.