Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche Factory Kardex information

I suppose one for my Feb 1972 S is out of the question?

Quote Originally Posted by majordad View Post
    I suppose one for my Feb 1972 S is out of the question?
    ....yes because by that time they did not use Kardexes. Kardexes were always warranty cards - they recorded all the information needed to cover the administration of the warranty system and that seems to have been computerized after 1970 rendering the hand written/ manual kardex system obsolete. They still had build sheets which were very comprehensive but, like the build sheets for cars during the Kardex period they are rarely seen outside the factory. I think that they may be available "in principle" as they exist but not available in practice except in very special cases. I have seen perhaps 3 or 4 build sheets ever.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by Trainee Fritz View Post
    Erik, I'd like to join the queue to obtain a kardex for my 68 Coupe. Can't send a PM yet. Can you PM me with instructions?
    Thx
    Peter
    Cannot PM you either, but I can help. Perhaps you need to enable PM's or emails.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    ....yes because by that time they did not use Kardexes. Kardexes were always warranty cards - they recorded all the information needed to cover the administration of the warranty system and that seems to have been computerized after 1970 rendering the hand written/ manual kardex system obsolete. They still had build sheets which were very comprehensive but, like the build sheets for cars during the Kardex period they are rarely seen outside the factory. I think that they may be available "in principle" as they exist but not available in practice except in very special cases. I have seen perhaps 3 or 4 build sheets ever.
    Indeed, I can get a kardex until 1969. My guess is that build sheet period starts for VIN numbers that begin with 911.

Erik

Thanks for reply and info.

Quote Originally Posted by gduplock View Post
    ... Kardex information which i assume is the original porsche factory specification of each car produced.

Thanks in anticipation

Graham

Polo Red 1968 911L Sportomatic RHD

My understanding is that the Kardex is more a record of the vehicles warranty and initial service history than it is a "build sheet". Many items originally installed on a car may not appear on a Kardex. The CoA is largely a "translation" of the Kardex, and is susceptible to the same item commissions. Both are good documents, but may not be reliable to determine how a car was assembled as it went through production. (most of this comes from the 356 guys).
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    Cannot PM you either, but I can help. Perhaps you need to enable PM's or emails.
    email is peter.goettelmann@icloud.com
    thx
    Peter
    LOOKING FOR SERVICE BOOK No 2361
    1968 Karmann Coupe 2.0 tangerine
    1993 Ducati 750 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullit View Post
    My understanding is that the Kardex is more a record of the vehicles warranty and initial service history than it is a "build sheet". Many items originally installed on a car may not appear on a Kardex. The CoA is largely a "translation" of the Kardex, and is susceptible to the same item commissions. Both are good documents, but may not be reliable to determine how a car was assembled as it went through production. (most of this comes from the 356 guys).
    Kardexes are not build sheets but warranty papers, but I have only once had feedback about wrong info and even that one was a questionable case. CoA's - at least the ones delivered in Europe by dealers - on the other hand are full of mistakes. In Europe they can't originate from kardexes, unless these 'translations' were done by blind people.
    For me the fun is in having it with my cars. Also: trying to locate the first owner of the car - usually their name and city they live in is on the kardex - is often rewarding. I have located several first owners and some of them could give me nice details of the first years of these cars. Since these people usually were no average Joe's they're often not hard to find by a google search.

Erik

Would a Kardex be available for a 1970 914-6, a late build German market car? It would be nice to know the who and where about the first owner(s). The known history starts in 1984 in Germany.

Steve

I am interested in getting a Kardex but unable to PM because I am new to the forum (you must have at least 10 posts before PM is enabled). Please contact me at norosion@aol.com so I can provide my info. Thank you.