Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 72 S bumper horns/bumperettes/overiders

72 S bumper horns/bumperettes/overiders

My 72 S has rubber front bumperettes, but chrome/rubber rears. COA makes no mention of these. Were all 72-73 cars rubber bumperettes? Or did some come with the chrome /rubber setup. Would my vin tell me? I am more a fan of the chrome /rubber. And in the front...fan of nothing

Speedo
    registry# 1283

U.S. 72 cars came with chrome/rubber front rear. Euro cars may have had front deleted.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks Ed!

Thats good news! So this is wrong...and second picture is right.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    registry# 1283

And I "could" be correct in just deleting any bumperettes in the front.
    registry# 1283

Euro spec didnt have front bumperettes. I have a 72 S, none on the front and rubber chrome at the back. Car was originally US delivery so someone may have thrown the front ones at one point. Agree qwith you, clean front and rubber chrome rear is the way to go!

I think all rubber front bumperettes were for 73 US Model Year only, but not for 72 US model year.
    In 1972 front bumperrettes were as rear, chrome/rubber only.
    Registry member No.773

My understanding was that for US models produced up to Dec 72 (73 model) the rear and front bumperrettes were similar to ROW chrome version but black.
    See below for the rearName:  image.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  134.6 KB
    Early 911 S Registry member #3308
    911E 1973 - Brownie- 66k original miles - Second owner
    911E 1971 - gold metallic - sold and missed
    912 1966 - sold

That is correct from what I've seen. Probably an example of Porsche using up 72 parts until Jan.73 production when they had to go to big rubber for U.S. market. The black coated intermediate ones gave a similar look.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

72 is also when black replaced chrome for front horn grilles, deck lid grille and front and rear turn lenses. Make sense to me that bumper guards as well moved from chrome to black coated finish.
    Early 911 S Registry member #3308
    911E 1973 - Brownie- 66k original miles - Second owner
    911E 1971 - gold metallic - sold and missed
    912 1966 - sold

My 73T made 10/72 came w/ the foam bumpers original. The car was purchased new by my father and the bumperettes have never been off so either the dealer (Ogner Canoga Park) swapped them out prior to sale or they came that way from the factory. Are mine the earliest foamies?? Was going to them off but now maybe I will keep them )