Thread: reverse engineering

reverse engineering

Most of the time we have a chassis and want to find the correct engine. So we order the COA and find the necessary serial number for the engine, and the journey begins. What if we start with an engine and want to figure out what vin chassis belongs with the engine? Porsche customer commitment is unable/unwilling to provide the correct vin that matches the engine. Is there another work-around to find the necessary vin other than posting in the lost and found? I have some engines I would like to find the chassis for. How does one do it backwards?

Speedo
    registry# 1283

Quote Originally Posted by speedo View Post
    Most of the time we have a chassis and want to find the correct engine. So we order the COA and find the necessary serial number for the engine, and the journey begins. What if we start with an engine and want to figure out what vin chassis belongs with the engine? Porsche customer commitment is unable/unwilling to provide the correct vin that matches the engine....
    The world of ours, not what ya know...but who ya know.

Yeah, I put a word out to my "underworld" Porsche contacts to see if they could add some value. Seems if the Porsche record/data base has vins, serials and types for engines and trannies...they ought to be able to cross reference. Maybe not so much for trannies, but at least vins and engines.

Still looking forward to a few other "observations/suggestions"...c'mon guys!
    registry# 1283

Nothing...nada...zippo.
    I know some of you guys could help....
    WDIGD (Whatdoigottado)? Hey, help me out...I figured out who is going to steal the election. I'll let you in on it...
    registry# 1283

Quote Originally Posted by speedo View Post
    Most of the time we have a chassis and want to find the correct engine. So we order the COA and find the necessary serial number for the engine, and the journey begins. What if we start with an engine and want to figure out what vin chassis belongs with the engine? Porsche customer commitment is unable/unwilling to provide the correct vin that matches the engine. Is there another work-around to find the necessary vin other than posting in the lost and found? I have some engines I would like to find the chassis for. How does one do it backwards?

Speedo
    Very good question. I also want to know the answer.

Maybe Kardex?

Another member here was able to help me obtain a Kardex based on an engine number. See my opening post here:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-way-too-long)

At recent Porsche related events in this area, where Porsche had a presence (Rennsport Reunion and the Werks Reunions) the Porsche people would look up cars for their owners. At such an event of this type a query might be made since nothing is printed.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709