Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: May 1,2.1971 NATIONAL BRIDGEHAMPTON plaque

Long Island HAD a lot of great tracks, with much history and significance. Alas, all gone now, very sad

Raced my 1976 Ducati 900SS there back in 1977 / 78 in AAMRR. Scary fast and satisfying.
    Mark Curtin
    Early S Registry #369
    Rgruppe #247

Buddy Palumbo attended his first race at Bridgehampton.

The Burt Levy series of books are CLASSIC,,,,,got em all!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by mazza View Post
    Thank Chuck, thank you Chris and thank you to all of you guys!!

I'm going to fix the plaque somewhere in the car!

Unfortunately I live quite far from Bridgehampton.
    I think l I've no chance to drive my car there, but...who knows?
    You don't need to bother its a golf course now : (
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

Thumbs up

You don't need to bother its a golf course now : (
    When it was up and running.....
    http://www.racingsportscars.com/trac...gehampton.html

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Yes, the Hamptons snobbery took the track away, also took the Westhampton dragstrip as well. There is a 2500 acre, basically abandoned, area out there where Grumman built F14 Tomcats years ago. 2 10,000 ft runways that are solid concrete, in perfect shape, surrounded by enough polluted land to build any motorsports track conceivable. They are happy to just let the deer run on it. A fine example of BS politics

Mark Curtin
    Early S Registry #369
    Rgruppe #247

Bridgehampton, a marvelous part of my past before the NIMBY interests took it away. It didn't make any difference that the track was there long before most of them moved into the area. A race track with its perceived noise and traffic just didn't mesh with their life style so it had to go, only to be replaced by a golf course of which we already have too many. The sports car races at Bridgehampton were always great fun, but for sheer excitement nothing could come close to the few times in the early-mid '60s when NASCAR held the Grand National Stock Car events. My home is about 5 miles away across Peconic Bay. From the front porch with a telescope we could identify individual cars by their colors and the noise, even at that distance, made it seem as if the cars were running in the back yard. I miss "The Bridge."

Its probably ironic that at this point, there is some much $$ and wealth out there, they would probably love a track to race high performance cars at, an alternate country club scenario I would think. As the previous poster mentioned, there are now way too many golf courses on the east end.