Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Features on early MY 1966 cars that changed during fall 1965

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Winters View Post
    You are writing that is is located with the stamped vin between 303182 and 303428. Where do you base this information on?
    Michael, I am going by photographs of actual locations. Please provide photo of 303381. If it is on latch panel, then I think it is correct and can move upper limit. I do believe that there are some cars that will not follow the pattern near the transition such as happened with the adjustable front struts. I will edit post 5 as I get better information. I encourage everyone with a car near the range to provide a photo.

What is ignition key washer? These?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Yes, bezel is a better word
    Early 911S registry member #1391
    Built '65, MY66 911 in total restoration

Dave,

I will provide you a photo of the thrunk next time I am at the car.
    Not having this kind of photo now at the moment.
    At this moment the car has the type of latchpanel where the vin plate is located on the latch panel.
    But do not know if this is correct.
    Maybe it need to be above the stamped vin number.
    Don't know so trying to look for it.

So in yournopinion it can be correct on the latchpanel for my car 303381. 1965 production went until 303390.
    Do you have pictures of cars around my vin where you checked the location of the vin plate?

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    Michael, I am going by photographs of actual locations. Please provide photo of 303381. If it is on latch panel, then I think it is correct and can move upper limit. I do believe that there are some cars that will not follow the pattern near the transition such as happened with the adjustable front struts. I will edit post 5 as I get better information. I encourage everyone with a car near the range to provide a photo.

What is ignition key washer? These?

Yes it is entirely possible that the tag could be on the latch panel. We will have to do a bit more research to find more examples near your VIN.

On the ignition bezel, I have photos of many dashes that I accumulated in my research on the 65 to 66 transition. In most cases it appears that the small bezel was used on 1965 models and the large one on 1966 models. However I am not aware of locking and non-locking differences I need information from owners of the cars on both sides of the transition as to the type of bezel and the locking feature or lack thereof.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

post your info...

I have found some info about : abandon bracket on the edge of the rear wheel arch to the floor (recently found by Moito, probably used for manufacturing purposes till then)

You can see the bracket with car:

303619 (if you look well)
    Name:  Schermafbeelding 2016-12-30 om 13.12.50.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  71.1 KB

Magnus Walker his 1966. Don't know if BY1965 or BY1966
    Name:  LEFT-REAR-INNER-QTR.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  105.6 KB

My car 303381. Doesn't have the bracket. Has this been removed? Or was it not there? Please give some comment
    Name:  Schermafbeelding 2016-12-30 om 15.22.54.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  59.3 KB

That small bracket in the rear inner fender housing - placement was just perfect to hang the brake caliper when servicing the rear rotors.

Was also used to suspend the rear axle when CV unattached and wanting to roll the car.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Bob,

Could this been correct to my car that there is no small bracket?
    My car is 303381. A very late BY1965 MY1966 car.
    Before it did service as a FIA Rally car.
    Don't know if the bracket was not on it when came out of the factory or that they removed it.
    Just want to know if we need to replace one or not, to be correct with the details.

Thanks

Michael, if the previous owners had the "racer" mentality they not only would have removed that unnecessary heavy hunk of metal they would have hung it on a wall to remind them of how light the car was.

(Boy you should see the stuff that gets taking off....remember it takes all 16 oz. to remove a pound.)
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Bob,

Nice quotes!
    But I could have been that the L bracket would have been removed?

Because I see to options:

A) This was original without bracket
    B) This was removed

Depending on which option should be the most logical one (depending on other cars) I would replace a L bracket.
    It is just making this, measure a correct one, and then attached it.
    Don't know if this was applied afterwards during the factory proces, or made complet while making the body panels.