Thread: Brock Yates passes

Banned

Brock Yates passes

What a talent.

He was instrumental in my lawless vehicular daydreaming during the eighties. His monthly Cannonball newsletter was a delight.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/brock-yates-1933-2016/

Phenomenal writer! I always enjoyed Brock's articles and his knowledge of the automotive world. ...

Lee
    Member #1277

loved Brock.....and his sharp wit.......he woulda rocked the internet/youtube these days

(btw..back in the day, 2 buddies of mine did the CBall........in a 450 SEL...72.....all hot rodded up.....came in like 3 or 4th)
    Last edited by 70tangerine; 10-07-2016 at 07:34 AM.

Thumbs up

Not only all that has been written above, but also in his last year of columns in AutoWeek he eloquently wrote about his fight with dementia....... Brock Yates...GREAT man..... RIP
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

RIP

A landmark writer and automotive personality, he will be missed.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

member #1515
    He and PJ O'rourke (who is still around), were the 2 best automotive writers of the 60's and 70's.
    Literally wrote the book on the collapse of the American auto industry with the classic Grosse Point Myopians.
    Creator of the Cannonball, in which I once participated.
    A real greater than life character.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

A friend of mine owns the blue 1971 Ferrari Daytona that he and Gurney won the '71 race in. Cool car.

I had the pleasure to meet him and have a chat about 6 or 7 years ago walking around the paddock at Watkins Glen. He was working on a book about what happened within the Porsche family when Ferry gave all of the relatives the boot. Brock had come to a standstill with the book because of all of the acrimony (still) within the families, and his inability to get the real story rather than "versions" from each family's viewpoint. I wonder what became of his notes and first draft of the book? I'll bet even incomplete it would be an interesting read.

His telling of the story of waking up in the middle of the night as Dan Gurney got sideways at 140 mph going over a frosty overpass in the Ferrari was hilarious.

I also remember driving past Lime Rock on a weekday in the mid-70s and seeing someone on track. I drove in and watched for a couple laps. I was BY in a Bavaria with his elbow out the window, looking bored, but going like hell one handed down the hill.

Hell of a nice guy, and a legend in auto journalism. RIP Mr. Yates.
    Last edited by Jim Garfield; 10-08-2016 at 11:19 AM.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

I was sad to read this news last week. I had just finished reading Sunday Driver last month. I am glad he was able to share so much through his writing.
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

I ran the One Lap with Brock still at the wheel of said event back in the nineties. Most every stop I got a chance to talk with him &/or enjoy his mannerisms. I knew that I wanted to absorb as much of his wit & humor possible ~ as he was then (and still is) one of the greats in the car world. He made a great impression on a lot of people, and that is quite a legacy.