Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Ollie" 1970 911ST Project - Phase 1

"Ollie" 1970 911ST Project - Phase 1

Hi all - I've been a forum reader for a long time but just joined the registry at RR5 last year. I'm in the process of building my 1970 911E into an ST. Her name is Ollie and she's a pastel blue non-sunroof coupe. Phase 1 is to get the body back from the paint shop and ready for re-assembly. I have some questions about some of the body details that would be correct for an early model year 1970 ST. I've read the "Ultimate ST" thread many times, and want to build my car the way that a customer ST would have come from the factory. I'm also using the Sports Purpose manuals from 1968 and 1972 for reference. Research on the Ultimate ST thread shows that the first three 911 STs were factory race cars, the first customer car appears to be 9110300990, so I thought this might be a good car to use as a reference as my VIN is 9110220099 (Karmann coupe).

Here are the questions I have about body specification, thanks in advance for those with the expertise and the willingness to share your knowledge:

1. Stitch Welds - Did the factory stitch weld the body seams on the early 911 STs?
    2. Hood Release Cable Tubes - should they stay or should they go?
    3. Under Hood - Should the undercoating be kept or removed under the hood?
    4. Rear Strut Towers - were the rear strut towers reinforced / gussetted?
    5. Front Strut Tower - what type of reinforcement is correct?
    6. Seat Belts - where were the attachment points for the seat belts? 4 point seat belts used?

I need to provide final direction to the body shop regarding any welding / fabrication work that needs to be completed prior to paint. Are there any other important details I'm missing? The shop will be installing steel ST flares, and flaring my steel front and rear bumpers to match, as well as performing some rust repair that needs to be completed. I don't want to make hot rod modifications, I only want to make modifications that are correct for the year and as the factory would have built the car.

Thanks!
    Jason Lind

Early S Member #3312

Name:  20150926_113928.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  40.7 KB
    Is this stitch welding factory correct or a hot rod option?

Name:  20150926_113745.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  71.8 KB
    Is this strut tower brace factory correct or a hot rod option? Particularly the welded in mount.

Name:  porsche_2_3_sr_33.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  150.8 KB

One other thing - it looks like these oil cooler lines were run through the interior rockers - very clean and sharp - but would this be period correct or a hot rod option?

Thanks,
    Jason

Jason,

Good luck with your ST build. The best thread for your project is by 'Flunder', Another Hot Rod. Tom's details about factory features is very detailed and backed by documentation. It will take awhile to go through it, but you will be a good way down the road in understanding the early factory STs.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...nother-hot-rod

The oil cooler lines would have been through the rockers
    The front strut brace shown is not correct for a 70ST, (see Flunder's thread for discussion)
    The hood would have been fiberglass with no undercoating
    The front fenders would have been fiberglass for a 70 ST
    There would have been stitch welding (see Flunder's thread)
    I don't think there would have been shock tower gusseting, but that practice is in debate.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Thanks Gib! I don't know how I missed that thread in my searches, looks like a wealth of information but you're right, it will take a while to read through. Thanks again!

Jason

We Can Be Heroes

Sorry Jason for butting in, hope you don't mind.

Running the oil lines through the rockers - what are the pros / cons?

Condensation leading to rust problems?

I need to install a front mounted oil cooler on my stock 70E body when my new engine is ready and I like the idea of hiding the oil lines in the rocker.

Johan
    SEARCHING FOR ENGINE 6208326 (last seen in car with VIN 9111101452)

-70 911E
    -84 3,2 Sold

Well the S's have that plumbing standard. If someone starts with a T I think they normally run them outside.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

I had a 70T a lot of years ago that had oil lines running through the rockers. It also had a 901 with short 'airport gears', and had been built into an RS replica. My brother now owns it and it has been built into a 73 RSR looking track car with a short stroke 2.8L twin plug.

My guess is that someone ordered it with an S oil cooler system, along with a special gearbox with the intent to race it. I don't think the factory fitted the external lines until 72.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17