Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2.5 ST: Welded Gussets on rear shock absorbers towers ?

I suggest that german members ( if possible ) should try to contact Norbert SINGER.

I'm still looking for the Singer article, but I did find his comments in Starkey's 'Racing Porsches R to RSR' (first edition) a quote from Mr. Singer regarding the development work on the 73 RSR in late 72 or early 73....

"We had, in 1972, a test at Paul Ricard circuit and this was the point where we started to install coil springs which were allowed in Group 4. Lots of people in the factory had tried this before but there was not enough room to install them. Anyway, we put them in and with them, it made it possible to balance the car really well. The stiffness with the torsion bars set really hard was 3 kilogrammes per square centimetre with the torsion bar and with a really big one you could get 3.5 or 3.7. With the coil springs, we started with 4 1/2 then 5 and we ended up with 8! (plus the 3 from the torsion bar) so it was almost solid."

This does not preclude the possibility that gussets were used on the 70-72 STs, but based on Singer's comments about coil spring stiffness, the gussets would have been necessary with the coils for sure. I also remember the discussion on this Board about the factory installing larger diameter shock tower receivers, which was to accommodate coil springs. That was when reinforcement gussets were installed since the coils were supporting most all the dynamic forces at the rear of the car under hard driving circuit competition.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Lazy Links

Quote Originally Posted by RennTyp View Post
    . . . Can't seem to find the referred to thread. Is the link working? . . .
    I'm lazy, so --- the 'link' is in the quote . . .

HtH

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

Here is some good discussion about reinforcements on the shock tower area...

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...hlight=gussets
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

And another thread . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ST-restoration

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes