Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tool bag 911 ?

setting aside the insult, I was not aware that there were holes in the '68 elephant hide, but if that is the case, I stand corrected.

I do think, however, that any comparison of the original photo with the bag having snaps wold suggest that they are different materials.

Quote Originally Posted by mshaver51 View Post
    setting aside the insult, I was not aware that there were holes in the '68 elephant hide, but if that is the case, I stand corrected.

I do think, however, that any comparison of the original photo with the bag having snaps wold suggest that they are different materials.
    Elephant hide seat inserts also had perforation holes.

Name:  ElephantSeat.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  79.4 KB
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

There's quite a few threads on and including the Elephant hide. I believe there are 2 versions, one with perforations, one without. The first bag pictured and the topic of this thread appears to have perforations in it, and it appears to be original.

Here's a closeup of another Elephant hide toolkit bag, and it has no perforations, also appears to be original:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...light=elephant

I've personally owned 2 Elephant bags, both non perforated. I've owned several door panels of Elephant and they were non perforated.

I believe the perforated material is much more rare than the non perforated. There is the ivory seat indicated above, and I've seen one other set on this board in black with perforations. Those are the only ones I've seen that have the perforations.

There is not a thread I can find on the Registry that shows a dash board, or door panels with perforations. The 68 interior set that "a356kid" had was a mixture of the 2 from my eyes.

I don't think that this puts this to bed, but it's good to see all variations.

In terms of a 1966 production 1967 911S, I would say the linen bag is "most" correct, with the possibility of an early car having the horizontal textured bag mostly known for 65/66. The smoother bag was only 1964 and early 65 imho, and then showed back up again in 1968 but with a different clasp than the 1964/65 bag. However, there were 2 smooth vinyls in 1965, one more smooth and regular and one more like a smooth naugahyde, there were also 2 clasp styles in 64/65 one with a half moon of material like the late 356 bags, and one without, and both clasps were riveted.

In 65/66 the material was the horizontal type texture (imho). For most of 67 it was the linen texture, but I have 3 versions of interiors (pictured). 1968 was a smooth naugahyde (but 2 slightly different textures), and 2 colors on interiors. 1969 was mostly the smooth naugahyde with either putty or tan interior (IMHO most were tan), and it is pictured below.

Left to right, a 64/65 bag, 65/66 textured bag, 3 versions of the 67, 2 versions of the 68 and on the far right is 1969 only bag.

The comparison pics (flash and no flash) show the horizontal texture 65/66 and the horizontal texture.

Nothing for sale, sorry.

E
    Attached Images Attached Images       

hi, thank you for your comment! ,
    I have the impression that this is a popular object but it is not the intention that I sell.
    This elephant bag was not in my car. This was with parts that I bought for my 911.There was also a basket weave bag.

My 911S was made in May 1967. I said it was a 66S because it is that model and not the late '67model. But apparently, the first ('66) comes with a different toolkit.
    So I need one like the picture of Eric? (on the picture the third tool bags 1967 also with red interior)
    Eric, can you take a picture just from that 3 so i can see the grain of it?

I also have several brands of tools. I have DROP FORGED and SELECTED SPECIAL STEEL. I think it is the drop forged ones...
    Which are the tools for my '67?

Thx, Peter

Not selling here but curious to hear from folks who sell lots of toolkits so might have datapoints … what is the relative value of a ribbed (not linen) tool bag with clasp closures that I read was used around model mid sixties (65/66?) compared to a Jusin faux-weave bag the type with the flap, cotton tie closures (not press-stud closure) used in the earlier part of model 73 including that tie jusin bag being correct for first 500er series RS. Assume in answering that the condition of the two bags are comparable shape. Both genuine original but are empty bags only— no tools.

Is one more valuable than other or are they very similar price /value all else being equal? Rough guidance on pricing for each would be useful if comparable to each bag have sold recently. I repeat not selling either here

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 01-26-2024 at 05:49 AM.

So no one has a view on the relative value of: Ribbed 65/66 vs 73 tie wrap tool bag — like for like condition? Surprising for a forum that has strong opinions on most everything early 911!?

Fewer cars made mid sixties period but the partial model year 73 Jusin with flap/ tie closure bag only used from late(ish) in calendar 72 through to early spring of calendar 73 (when press-stud version of Jusin adopted) so neither of the sixties ribbed or seventies weave tie bag were that common, I suppose? Any price comparables useful or even a percent difference in price useful input as contemplating a swap with friend so want a basis for any deal. Is a straight swap between friends reasonable. Neither out to make money just want to be fair if chose to swap. No tools involved; just bag for bag exchange being considered.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 01-28-2024 at 11:02 AM.

I just took these images.
    I was under impression from posts back in around 2014 this top was 65-67 bag, looks like Eric has narrowed down to 65-66 if read correctly with his images.
    I had to zoom in on the middle one, there is random holes if I zoom in and look with my glasses.
    The bottom bag has lots of holes
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    S Registry#2021