Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rant on Scams, Advice for buyers and sellers. Flame Suit On!

Rant on Scams, Advice for buyers and sellers. Flame Suit On!

First a word to sellers, there are a couple of things we can do to make it harder for the scammers.

1. It's important when you sell a car to watermark the pictures somehow. There are a million apps for this but you can also go oldschool. When someone I don't know asks me for pictures of a car, I say sure, and cover it in magnets. If they are interested in buying the car they don't care, if they are trying to picture flip or worse, just use the pictures their plans are foiled.
    2. It's also why I always take pictures for ebay in the same spot in my shop, that way people recognize the place. I've actually had people call me and say someone was trying to sell one of my cars but they recognized my shop, so it works.

Next a word to buyers.
    1. Be careful out there everybody, the more these things are valuable, the more risk, a wise man once said buy the seller not the car.
    2. If you think you are being super clever staying up all night searching the dark corner's of the internet and found that Porsche listed on an obscure website and it's just your lucky day or you found some dealer in a small town with a slick website who just doesn't know what he has, don't send the deposit, it isn't your lucky day. If you found it on the internet the gig is up, anyone who can setup a website and take pictures of rare car, can do five minutes of research and won't put it on their site for half of it's true value.
    Now if you're pumping gas in your 911 and some guy walks up to you and says he has his uncle's old Porch, do you want to come look at it, that might be real, but if you find it online and it seems like it too good to be true, it is. There was once a time when you could scan craigslist and jump on a deal, that day is long gone. I went to see a well known flipper in NYC several years ago, he had three Indian women sitting in front of computers hitting re-fresh on every craigslist, every classic car forum, and every other avenue every few seconds, that's why that dude calls you within 15 minutes of you placing an ad, trust me you can't compete with that, so if a craigslist ad has been up for more than 15 minutes and it seems like your lucky day, it isn't.
    Bottom line, if you find a "super deal" on the internet there is a 90% chance that it is a scam, and if it's not, some flipper will offer the guy way more, and you'll be out of the deal. Another well known west coast flipper will always pay more, just to get people to stop trying. I once won a sealed bid estate auction for three Porsches. Once this guy found out it was me he said, "I'll pay 20% over whatever Adam bid!" Luckily, the seller was a gentleman and I got the cars. But he was willing to do anything to best me.
    If you want a deal on a Porsche go out and make some friends, meet other Porsche guys, the best cars never see a for sale sign, they just quietly trade hands amongst Porsche guys. Most of the cars I buy are not advertised, people just know to call me, but all I do is make myself known. I seen some of the best deals happen between two friends, so if you are in the market for a Porsche, get out there and drive, don't surf the net, there are no deals there, but there are lots of scammers.
    ---Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 72targa; 11-04-2016 at 10:19 AM. Reason: One photo will do to portary the desired message...thanks!
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

You won't get any flames from me. One thing I would add is to ask for a photo with a marker in it when buying - today's headline for instance - if you get that, at least then you know the seller has access to the car. And don't get me started on parts!

Mark
    Early S #2826

Garage:
    '73 E (2.7RS replica) - sold
    '94 968 Clubsport M030 - sold
    '67 250SE Cabriolet - sold
    '71 Skyline GT - sold
    '69 911S - sold
    '73 911T/RS

Quote Originally Posted by 91133 View Post
    You won't get any flames from me. One thing I would add is to ask for a photo with a marker in it when buying - today's headline for instance - if you get that, at least then you know the seller has access to the car. And don't get me started on parts!

Mark
    I've had to do that too, I always give two thumbs up! Or at least 1 thumb...
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!

Great advice. I am aware that mac73s was offered more money for his 2.4S after we had agreed our deal. We are both men of our word which is refreshing in this day and age.
    Last edited by 72targa; 11-03-2016 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Place WTB in appropriate section...thanks.
    early S registry # 2596

Quote Originally Posted by graemel View Post
    Great advice. I am aware that mac73s was offered more money for his 2.4S after we had agreed our deal. We are both men of our word which is refreshing in this day and age.
    Yes, another reason to try to buy within the community. I remember years ago we bought a 70T Targa from a guy on Samba in NC. The car looked good in pics but you know how that goes, and we specifically asked about rust. Being in the NE we don't need to import rust. The seller said some bubbles in the doors but nothing serious, we bought the car. When it arrived the pedal cluster was hanging in mid-air, that's how bad the rust was. When we complained to the seller his response was, and I kid you not,
    "Look, do this, the car photographs really well, just take some good shots and throw it on ebay, you'll be fine."
    I asked, "So you want me to do to the next guy what you did to me?"
    He answered, "Look, I'm giving you an out here, if you don't want to take it, that's on you, but it's your car now."
    This guy has been around for awhile, but changes his name every few years, re-inventing himself and his company with new names and stories.
    I don't want to be that guy, I want to be able to go to events with a nametag and a smile. So try and do business with people who are invested in the community. The larger classic car flippers are not, since they will sell any car to make a buck they have no allegiance to any one Marque, just to their bottom line, so those guys are fine passing on the rust.
    Another funny story, a well known 356 seller went to the Speedster 50th but was afraid to wear a nametag, he had that many people who wanted a word with him. I don't ever want to be that guy.
    Last edited by 72targa; 11-03-2016 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Place items FS in appropriate section...thanks.

Good advice on the watermarks, buying the seller not the car and to let go of the pipe dream of finding the one 356 or 911 on eBay or craigslist that somehow everyone else missed!

Great advice
    Both my 65 and 67S were bought locally in the last three years. Everybody knew the cars but the whispers about whether they were for sale began with their mechanics who I stop by and chat with regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
    ...years ago we bought a 70T Targa from a guy on Samba in NC. The car looked good in pics but you know how that goes, and we specifically asked about rust. Being in the NE we don't need to import rust. The seller said some bubbles in the doors but nothing serious, we bought the car. When it arrived the pedal cluster was hanging in mid-air, that's how bad the rust was. When we complained to the seller his response was, and I kid you not,
    "Look, do this, the car photographs really well, just take some good shots and throw it on ebay, you'll be fine."
    I asked, "So you want me to do to the next guy what you did to me?"
    He answered, "Look, I'm giving you an out here, if you don't want to take it, that's on you, but it's your car now."
    Abject horror story.

Quote Originally Posted by 62S-R-S View Post
    Abject horror story.
    We weren't the only ones to be ripped by that dude, there is a 10 page thread on him over on Pelican.

I can't bad-mouth craigslist as that's where my car came from

The best advice is to use a little common sense and whenever possible go look at the car in person.

Seb
    1971 911t coupe
    2002 Camaro z/28