Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Owner '68 911L - Info appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Not Red View Post
    I was very tempted to just put it back together and enjoy, but it's way too solid, to let it be. Now it's going to get a proper restoration. I asked about values only because I've seen them for sale from 50k-200k, and being new to Porsche, just trying to get a pulse on the finished value of the car, and what impacts the value. This is just a passion for me, first time I've ever been around these cars and I'm absolutely impressed with the engineering and design the more I dig in.

Pulled all the interior, removed the floor insulation and started stripping the factory coating from the floor, revealing perfect clean steel, its slow work but the result will be worth it.

I appreciate any and all advice.
    Hello Not Red!

Welcome to the club! The 911L is indeed a special car, and a good one to work with. You will simply love it!

The question you ask is difficult to answer based on what we know about your 911L. High value early 911s are based on low mileage, originality and condition (just like the early Corvette world). The restoration process is the other factor. The more you are able to preserve originality and return the L back to the way it came from the Porsche factory, the better you will do in the long run when it comes to financial vaiue. The devil is in the details! And the more you know about these details, the better your L will be.

Generally, the price of an L will fall between a 911T and an 911S. Last I checked, prices for a solid L was about around $85,000, but I certainly could be incorrect, as the market is changing. Number 1 and Number 2 cars are doing well yet, but #3s and lower are falling off.

Some questions for you. What is the mileage on your L, and how are you approaching the restoration process?

Thanks!

Lee
    Member #1277

During the restoration take lots of pictures, especially where there is detail to be found. You never know what detail may be important later on in the process. Best is not to over-restore. It can be tricky.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by 302340 View Post
    Hello Not Red!

Welcome to the club! The 911L is indeed a special car, and a good one to work with. You will simply love it!

The question you ask is difficult to answer based on what we know about your 911L. High value early 911s are based on low mileage, originality and condition (just like the early Corvette world). The restoration process is the other factor. The more you are able to preserve originality and return the L back to the way it came from the Porsche factory, the better you will do in the long run when it comes to financial vaiue. The devil is in the details! And the more you know about these details, the better your L will be.

Generally, the price of an L will fall between a 911T and an 911S. Last I checked, prices for a solid L was about around $85,000, but I certainly could be incorrect, as the market is changing. Number 1 and Number 2 cars are doing well yet, but #3s and lower are falling off.

Some questions for you. What is the mileage on your L, and how are you approaching the restoration process?

Thanks!

Lee
    Mileage is 134k, I'm approaching the restoration looking to make it correct. The car was almost tore apart for the parts to build a kit car about 20 years ago when it sold for $1,500.00 (wish I had got it for that). I have always loved the 911, and the more I work on it the more impressed I am. Just finished restoration on my '66 corvette coupe, and the engineering of the 911 was light years ahead of the Vette and simplicity of the design.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Red View Post
    I was very tempted to just put it back together and enjoy, but it's way too solid, to let it be. Now it's going to get a proper restoration. I asked about values only because I've seen them for sale from 50k-200k, and being new to Porsche, just trying to get a pulse on the finished value of the car, and what impacts the value. This is just a passion for me, first time I've ever been around these cars and I'm absolutely impressed with the engineering and design the more I dig in.

Pulled all the interior, removed the floor insulation and started stripping the factory coating from the floor, revealing perfect clean steel, its slow work but the result will be worth it.

I appreciate any and all advice.
    If you do much of the work your self and make some good buys, you probably will break even. I have never built a car to sell but I have never lost money on a Porsche either...(Even 912s and 914s...). mainly because I put in some (a lot) of the labor. There is a bigger spread with the 911Ss but the Ls are certainly bringing some good money as previous posted.
    Start with a good chassis and build up from there. That way if some of the bolt-ons need changing later, they can be changed. It is more difficult to go back and fix some bad panel replacements....
    Sounds like you are going to do the best you can and that will account for many of the decisions made.
    H

Quote Originally Posted by jt912 View Post
    Search for "elephant hide" It is a strong indicator of an "L".
    Is there a source for the "elephant hide" vinyl? I've searched and haven't came up with anyone, going to need new door panels and would like to replace the center sections of the seats with it, for a more original feel.

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    That look really close from the pics, Thanks!!

Welcome aboard Not Red. They are great cars and you will have a lot of fun with it. Restoration is a tricky thing. I guess short term you will break even. Longer term. Well Porsche are not making anymore. For $$$ I would always go for an S. They command the highest price but the costs of restoring and S or a T are very similar. Good luck
    early S registry # 2596

I am so glad you jumped into Porsche's....you really only get one chance to restore a car to its original glory anything less will disappoint you in the future. So engine out for rebuild and then you must do the suspension all bushings ,bearings..brakes lines...on and in... etc..
    So why tear apart and leave the rest not done. Get the finishes correct for every part of the car. When done you will love the drive of a new car and the value will keep you happy you went all the way.
    Get all the books you can ..original parts book, repair manuals etc....read , work and learn all aspects.
    Find the best resources in the club for info and all aspects of the restoration. It's also increase the value if name vendors and rebuilders do the work. This is really important to value if engine, gearbox, interior , etc they are the elite who earned their credentials.
    The people are great and you will enjoy the events that are always active.
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

Congratulations on your car. '68, as you will learn, was a very interesting year for 911s, with a lot of variation during the year. You might be well served getting the Kardex to confirm all the details of your car. For example, it may have had Pepita seat inserts vs elephant hides.

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)