Thread: '71 E targa ballpark pricing

'71 E targa ballpark pricing

I know this is tough ask, especially without pictures, but I'm looking to purchase a '71 E targa and need some pricing help/counseling.

The good: mostly original 90k mi car, has been in the same family for over 35 years, no known rust (verified by independent mechanic), good mechanical condition and runs strong (new brakes, tires, fuel lines, MFI pump just gone through by Pacific), Conda Green, top just redone, no history of the motor being opened up

The bad: recent "10 footer" windows-in paint job (with plenty of overspray underneath and in wheel wells) body work limited to left rear quarter and new hood, incorrect wheels, very tired/neglected original interior (needs carpet, door pockets, rear panels), bad 2nd gear sychro and very vague shifter, exterior needs (deck grill, smugglers box cover, new seals everywhere, front deco rubber, antenna).

Car comes across as very honest, but outside of the recent mechanical work any that had been touched in the past needs to be redone correctly. Asking price is $79K but the owner admits that would be a bit of a reach. The owner is a very honest, nice guy and I'm just trying to find a fair price for both of us.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    Last edited by slc; 11-09-2016 at 06:14 AM.

Without pix probably between 50 to 75k.
    Rust or lack of will be a major factor.
    Check out Hagerty valuation tools.
    For sure get a ppi.
    It's not what u paid but how much it will cost u.
    1962 356 S Cab gone
    1967 911S Coupe
    2008 RS60 Boxster gone
    1973.5 911T targa soft window Gone
    Runge 008 Gone
    2002 996 TT x-50 Gone
    2016 Boxster GTS pts gulf orange
    1969 912 SWT pts green

Can I be FRANK with you ?

Live everyday like it's your last .
    Eventually you'll be right.

The car is right between a 3 and a 4 on the Hagerty scale, so your estimate is aligned with their valuation. Thanks for the reply and agree with your points.

Sounds like a rust free car that needs everything done except the mfi pump.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

After the complete archeology and repair of known and hidden rust on my current restoration, I would challenge the term "rust free" on any early 911 that hasn't been through a complete rotisserie strip to bare metal, rockers opened, etc. etc. There may be minimal rust, but do your do diligence and have a very proper PPI completed. The correctness of the metal work and the body is the single most important factor when determining the true value of any early 911. These cars began rusting the day they left the factory, so it's not if they have rust, but where it is and has it been properly addressed. This is of course my opinion, but one I've developed over a tough learning curve. Good luck on your search/buy, the E is a wonderful car.
    1969 911 E #824

If it's an early long-hood it's got rust. You just haven't found it yet.

This sounds as if it's a project cars.

Hagerty has an average price of $78,000 on this car. That's for a #3 car. I'm going to guess it might take $25,000 to make his a #3 car. That means something in the neighborhood of $50,000 might be a reasonable offer. This is just a SWAG though.

Also keep in mind that the value on these cars has been flat for the last 2 years. You're not going to see much appreciation. On the other hand it won't depreciate either.

Name:  911 Rear shelf Repair.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  39.4 KB
    Look for rust where the shelf meets the body

Name:  911 Rear Seat Pan Rust.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  188.3 KB
    More Rust

Richard Newton
    Historic Racing Images