Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTB: circa ~1971 passenger side "banana" control arm with factory sway bar bulb

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the add'l image and description of the difference. Much appreciated!

Greg
    Early 911S Registry#3437
    1971 911E

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieBranz View Post
    Hi Tom,

Thank you for the add'l image and description of the difference. Much appreciated!

Greg
    Greg

Why don't you just weld a ball on your existing arm?

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Greg

Why don't you just weld a ball on your existing arm?

Regards

Jim
    Weeell....my goal was to return any wrong parts to correct parts since my car is a pretty original survivor.

I had read that 1971 E's came with sway bars. It wasn't clear to me if it was an option or if all the E's came with rear sway bars. When I saw that one side had the ball and the other side did not....I inferred (maybe incorrectly?) that the one missing the ball was incorrect and previously replaced....

But now after getting more info from you and Tom....it looks like both my arms are correct for a 71 era.

The question remains.....did 1971 E's all come with sway bars or was it an option?

If it was an option, how possible would it be thst the factory would install one side with and one side without if they knew they wern't putting on a sway bar?

IMG_1851.jpgIMG_1852.jpgIMG_1853.jpgIMG_1857.jpg
    Early 911S Registry#3437
    1971 911E

Does your car have the sway bar bushing brackets on both sides of the car? All 71 911s came with the bracket on the left side as it is part of the fuel pump mounting bracket. Only sway bar equipped cars came with a bracket on the right side. If both are present, you can assume that your car came from the factory with a sway bar. My guess is that your car has had it's RR control arm replaced and the sway bar was never re-installed due to the lack of a ball on the RR trailing arm. It is a relatively simple task to weld a ball on your existing arm. The only down side to that is that the ball will ohnly be welded to one surface. The factory balls have an extra piece of metal welded to support the ball. I don't believe it is necessary.

Regards

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does your car have the sway bar bushing brackets on both sides of the car? All 71 911s came with the bracket on the left side as it is part of the fuel pump mounting bracket. Only sway bar equipped cars came with a bracket on the right side. If both are present, you can assume that your car came from the factory with a sway bar. My guess is that your car has had it's RR control arm replaced and the sway bar was never re-installed due to the lack of a ball on the RR trailing arm. It is a relatively simple task to weld a ball on your existing arm. The only down side to that is that the ball will ohnly be welded to one surface. The factory balls have an extra piece of metal welded to support the ball. I don't believe it is necessary.

Regards

Jim
    The right side only has the outside bracket (see my third pic down in prior post) but it does not have the backing support plate or the bulb for sway bar attachment. So this would mean it was a non swaybar car then, correct?

The left side has factory bracket, backing support and ball.

Thank you,

Greg
    Early 911S Registry#3437
    1971 911E

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieBranz View Post
    The right side only has the outside bracket (see my third pic down in prior post) but it does not have the backing support plate or the bulb for sway bar attachment. So this would mean it was a non swaybar car then, correct?

The left side has factory bracket, backing support and ball.

Thank you,

Greg
    Sorry, Greg

My post was a bit confusing. I was referring to the bracket that is welded to the chassis to support the sway bar. I have included a picture of the bracket from a 911SC which is very similar to what your car should have on the right side of your chassis. If that bracket is present on your car, you can assume that your car was delivered from the factory with a rear sway bar.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry, Greg

My post was a bit confusing. I was referring to the bracket that is welded to the chassis to support the sway bar. I have included a picture of the bracket from a 911SC which is very similar to what your car should have on the right side of your chassis. If that bracket is present on your car, you can assume that your car was delivered from the factory with a rear sway bar.
    Jim, nope don't have that bracket on the right side so not a sway bar car. Very interesting info thanks for the detailed info.

So knowing this, it's the reverse of my assumption? The right non bulb arm is correct but what about the driver side? Would they have put a sway bulb prepped arm there on a non sway bar car? Or do you think both my arms would have been non-bulb from the factory? Thanks! Greg
    Early 911S Registry#3437
    1971 911E

I can add this....The 70E I am restoring came with a front sway bar but no rear.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress