Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Results of my first Lit and Phoenix adventure Share your experiences?

Results of my first Lit and Phoenix adventure Share your experiences?

Weekend is over.
    LIT
    The Friday before the Lit I spent the day tuning the Weber Carbs on the yellow bomb, with hopes of driving her to Phoenix. Her maiden voyage. Idle was perfect but the snap excelleration was more of a lagging pause then whamo on the RPMs. Looking at the distributor cap I thought probably not the cause but was a little shakey so why not take an excursion to Harbor City to get a cap from Pelican? So I roll the Diesel Pusher up the 91 fwy to Harbor. I arrive just in time for the festivities of their Open house. All and all a little light in the vendor support but Momo found and contributed 30 out of circulation Magnus Walker signature wheels. Long sold out. I didn't need one but it was so cool looking I had to buy one. Hope Im not stuck. Out front was a grey something touting itself as a 1969 RSR Hmmm?
    Pelican had arranged for the most spectacular authentic Taco vendor to show up, and they did. Being at least 8% Mexican I am an authority on Tacos. These were some of the best tacos I have ever had. Bring them back next year. I am in.
    I roll back to the warehouse and install my cap. A little improvement. At the very least It will make the 13 mile trip to Phoenix club. I am content. I roll the door down and head home.
    Visions of Sugar Plums Dance in my Head
    My Dreams are filled with what to expect from a show that persons travel from around the world to attend. I sleep lightley and am awake on time headed up the 105 to the LAX Hilton. My first impression is that is is small. 2 rooms of pure buzzing and excitement, but small. As I am working my way through the crowded Isles I am constantly hitting road blocks of persons just stopped in the middle. A few people around me were exprssing frustration by the events but I realized that these were people stopping to chat with friends, lots of them. I realize that the LIT meet is about just that. It is not so much about the plethora of parts and rags, it is about the car culture and all of your fellow friends from around the world or just a town over coming together to say hey how is it going. It is pure Bliss. I bump into 4 persons I know from C&C and do the same as everyone else.
    I find Easy in his both and pass off 2 bottles of Vinnies Russian River sour ales. (sorry Frank, you weren't there) Shameless bribery for parts that may come down the pipe later.
    A quick check in at the ESR booth to meet Chuck (great guy), I manage to find a deal or two on parts and bump into Magnus and briefly chat about his owning the 1036 car directly after my 1035 car and I am out.

When life hands you Lemons, make...
    I retrace my path from the Lit to South County for A Birthday party thrown for a good friend. A must stop or forever be badged a Party dodger. 0ne tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.
    I somehow set my alarm for 2Am to arrive at phoenix by 8? and spend the 3 extra hours trying to sleep but it does not work. somewhat achy headed I shower and hit the road for the maiden voyage. I arrive at my warehouse and jockey some cars around to liberate 1035 out to the open air. She starts right up and I am excited as I push her through a few gears getting her warmed up for the trek, she is running beautifully as I cross the intersection onto Stage Road and push her through the mile stretch of no mans land that used to be a drag strip for all of the local teens in the day. About the 5 mile mark of the trip, she dies. I restart her and I have no Idle, no power. I limp her into Phoenix. By the time I get there she is hot and I am forcing the idle. I am sure that I looked like the guy that revs his Ferrari in front of a crowd for attention. Park and enjoy the plethora of Parts! I find my 65deck lid, Thanks Bob A couple of headrests and a 4 65 chain box cover Pierburg side.
    What an enjoyable weekend. I got parts, saw friends and met many ESR members as well as a dozen or so DDK members visiting from the UK. I climb into the Porsche as it is starting to Rain (is this a Phoenix curse?) I make it 2 miles. I can't see out of my wiperless windshield and I am not running well, Oil pressure is fluctuating and every red light is a struggle. I pull off and call AAA which is there in 20 minutes. Car is now safe in the warehouse waiting for diagnosis. What a Weekend! Would not have traded it.
    Share your experiences?
    Cheers

Thumbs up

Great to finally meet'ya ... your '65 is pretty remarkable as is... and will only get better... sorry to hear about the flatbed home... but....

The rain held off until the Registry had to pack up the booth... and had to start my trip back home in the rain on my D.O.T.'s...

Good luck with the project..... more adventures to come....

Cheers,
    Chuck
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Your "bribe" is very much appreciated. It was great to meet you, as well.

Ciao

Jim

Cheers Jim,
    In all honesty I was giving them to Frank but he went racing instead! His loss your gain!

Quote Originally Posted by trdking View Post
    Cheers Jim,
    In all honesty I was giving them to Frank but he went racing instead! His loss your gain!
    Randy

Funny you said that. I was about to send him a couple of Plinys but wound up drinking them with his Solex carb rebuilder. Not only did Frank not get his ration of Pliny but his carbs are going to take that much longer till completion.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Randy

Funny you said that. I was about to send him a couple of Plinys but wound up drinking them with his Solex carb rebuilder. Not only did Frank not get his ration of Pliny but his carbs are going to take that much longer till completion.
    UUUUGH Double Whammy!

Banned
    Conspiracy.

See if I EVER provide another opportunity to give me free beer.

Yes, racing. That's why I'm a babbling fool today. Nothing else to do while driving home from Austin.

Frank, How did you do?

Banned
    We tried PCA Club Racing. Third in sprint race 1, and first overall in Sunday's Red group enduro in the 914. Mixed success in the Cup car in the Blue group. Third I think in sprint race 1?

Not the friendliest bunch but they put on a great event. But I get it; when you crash someone's party and shake up the food chain no one likes it.
    Races stayed on schedule even though it rained all day Saturday. (Crashed at least 10 cars.) I will give them credit where credit is due: I was impressed with the caliber of driving and they certainly take their scrutineering seriously. We'll be back.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    We tried PCA Club Racing. Third in sprint race 1, and first overall in Sunday's Red group enduro in the 914. Mixed success in the Cup car in the Blue group. Third I think in sprint race 1?

Not the friendliest bunch but they put on a great event. But I get it; when you crash someone's party and shake up the food chain no one likes it.
    Races stayed on schedule even though it rained all day Saturday. (Crashed at least 10 cars.) I will give them credit where credit is due: I was impressed with the caliber of driving and they certainly take their scrutineering seriously. We'll be back.
    First time at an event and you can walk away with your head held high is a win in my book. Congratulations!