Thanks Scott. My VIN is 00149 if that helps. Photos I can post, for sure, but in answer to Jay's original thread question:
- Did all 1968 911S come with matching elephant hide seats, dash face and door panels? It looks like the answer is 'no' (based on our sample size of 3 above, although we have to be sure that these cars are still in 'as built' spec)
- Did some come with basket weave? Yes
- Did some have mixed patterns like elephant hide face with basket weave seats? Yes

And we now have the additional questions:

- When/why/how was basketweave chosen as opposed to elephant hide?
- If the interior was mixed, what combinations were allowed?

My guess (and I don't want this to sound harsh but I am in the car-building industry so I know how this works, please don't drown me as a heretic!) is the factory made it up as they went along, depending on what the order books looked like and how much stock of each panel/seat/colour combination they had around, but I'd love to be proved wrong and find there was some logic to it!

We should remember that not all of the interior was trimmed lineside. Seats came in from Recaro I understand. Door cards not sure, but would have needed special tooling, so almost certainly batch-made. Dash panels, possibly in-house. Plenty of scope for mix and matching in this transitional year.

I guess some would be to customer specs though, but not sure whether you could specify different seats/dash/doors?

Cheers,

Mike.