Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Factory aluminium ducktail (R4) ???

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

alu frame

Interesting find OliveR! I have stripped an all framed ducktail as well and wondered about the top middle half round hole. Yours does have it, so mine but I do not see that one in a steel framed ducktail (or I did not look good enough). Where is that one for?
    Both top corners holes with a small extra round hole at the bottom is clearly enlarged on mine, now need to find a way to get them back in shape. It is such thin als that it will be difficult. Thinking of glueing in small patches.

Best regards,

cees
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by fourteenten; 11-17-2016 at 09:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Thank you all,

- very interesting close up pic of the R6 tail ;-)
    - fiber glass is old time manner and amber
    - apparently car still exist, restored/owned in Italy (see Armando's website link)
    - from what i saw, tail was first painted white (only top and alloy frame), then light yellow, metallic blue, and finally red

Quote Originally Posted by fourteenten View Post
    Interesting find OliveR! I have stripped an all framed ducktail as well and wondered about the top middle half round hole. Yours does have it, so mine but I do not see that one in a steel framed ducktail (or I did not look good enough). Where is that one for?
    Both top corners holes with a small extra round hole at the bottom is clearly enlarged on mine, now need to find a way to get them back in shape. It is such thin als that it will be difficult. Thinking of glueing in small patches.

Best regards,

cees
    Cees, yes 3 enlarged holes, seems original to me ;-)

OliveR, Did you strip the top side paint....that would tell the story about it being on a Brumos 911....pretty simple eh!

As for matching holes from one deck lid to another....please don't draw to any conclusions if they don't match....I have seen too many correct Deck lids and they all have dissimilar little finds.....its the paint that tells the story on this one!

KJ

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    Thanks guys, that will make it a bit easier to restore the ducktail!

Cheers,

Cees

Kevin,

i confirm it was first White painted, light yellow, metallic blue, and red ;-)
    Could it be a spare tail ???

Thanks OliveR,

You definitely have a cool deck lid but the Brumos colors would be all white and then the red and medium ("non metallic") blue stripes. I can't explain the R-4 grease pencil mark....but there are plenty of things Porsche did and had "Merritt" in the day and totally confusing for us today!

KJ

Thanks Kevin,

I stripped the layers of paint at one corner, so it was first white, then Light Yellow, Metallic Blue, Red ...

It would be interesting to strip more in the midle of the deck lid to see if there were Brumos stripes before the light yellow paint.
    It should be blue on the left and red on the right.

Here is R4 beeing painted:
    http://www.pbase.com/slidevalve911rsr/image/96346489

I stripped more, still White/Yellow etc.. no stripes ;-)