Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightmetal wheel

Quote Originally Posted by acoupe View Post
    This wheel has not been modified or messed with at all. I checked with a magnet again.....center and hoop are aluminum. I`ve never seen that KPZ part number before.
    I'm guessing that it is a dedicated spare wheel for a 904 or 906. They were required to carry a spare and Porsche made special light weight wheels for that purpose. I've got a 15 X 4 alloy wheel that was used as a spare in a RS 60.

Regards

Jim

Time to contact the Faktory? . . .

http://www.porsche.com/museum/en/

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    . . . got a 15 X 4 alloy wheel that was used as a spare in a RS 60 . . .
    Hey, Mr B . . .

. . . all alu? --- center + rim . . . + riveted-together?

We Can Be Heroes

Hey Jim........if these were spares, there should be some more out there. Have you ever come across, or heard of this wheel Jim? I`ve talked to several 904 guys, and no body has seen this wheel. Has ANYONE ever seen or heard of this type of wheel? FWIW 906 alloy/steel wheels did not have hubcap bumps, 904s do.

. . . FWIW 906 alloy/steel wheels did not have hubcap bumps, 904s do . . .

Attached Images Attached Images    

We Can Be Heroes

906 wheel

Looks like the 906 came with and w/o hubcap bumps. I broke my own rule.....never say never.....HA!

Hey Jim........if these were spares, there should be some more out there. Have you ever come across, or heard of this wheel Jim? I`ve talked to several 904 guys, and no body has seen this wheel. Has ANYONE ever seen or heard of this type of wheel? FWIW 906 alloy/steel wheels did not have hubcap bumps, 904s do.
    Bill

No, I haven't come across one of those. 904s and 906s are way above my pay grade, even though I helped wrench on a 906 that a buddy of mine raced for many years back in the 80s.
    If it had such a wheel, I wouldn't have paid any attention to it, anyway. Porsche always disguised it's light weight aluminum wheels by painting them just like steel wheels, but you already knew that. I feel like I am preaching to the choir. It is nice to see you posting on this site. I wish he would have kept that car but he got an offer of $120,000.00 and couldn't resist all that money!

Regards

Jim
    PS: The picture is a picture of an old print. Those are thumb tack holes, not bullet holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    I'm guessing that it is a dedicated spare wheel for a 904 or 906. They were required to carry a spare and Porsche made special light weight wheels for that purpose. I've got a 15 X 4 alloy wheel that was used as a spare in a RS 60.

Regards

Jim
    I would agree with Jim. Such a wheel couldn't be actually used on a car considering the material and thickness of the center.
    They would have riveted the spare to disguise it as a regular (?) bi metal wheel for tech inspection.
    The unusable spare tradition continued on with later race cars........
    JMHO
    H

You early 911 guys......did racers ever use alloy/steel wheels on early 911 race cars?......906 wheels?....7Kx15 would make sense on an old 911.
    Yes, the bi-metal were used. Esp. before the Fuchs were available in wider sizes...I have seen them on early customer owned race cars.
    Hard to tell in vintage photos but probably any wider looking wheel on a car before 67 was a bi-metal.

JMHO
    H

FWIW Borrani produced this kind of wheel (center and rim both alloy riveted together) .
    They were used by many Italian and others.
    E.g. Alpina used them on their BMW 2002 street cars.
    Cheers

Uli