Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightmetal wheel

Quote Originally Posted by acoupe View Post
    Looks like the 906 came with and w/o hubcap bumps. I broke my own rule.....never say never.....HA!
    I would not base your facts on that car. It is not a vintage photo.
    I have made many replacements for 906s with hubcap centers.
    Not to say it didn't happen just that I would look for a period photo to be sure.
    H

Harvey......did 906s come with hubcap bumps originally?

Period 906 variant Photos . . .

No pictures of spare tire wheels. Probably not sharp enough to see front wheel detail.

Name:  Porsche_906.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  136.0 KB

Name:  Porsche-906-2.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  93.1 KB

Name:  Porsche-906-LH.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  85.2 KB

Name:  PORSCHE 906 3.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  96.4 KB
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

Parts catalog pages, 904 and 906 below
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Last week I sent Marco Marinello pics and info on this wheel. He was going to a swapmeet in Stuttgart this past weekend where there would be some oldtime factory people attending. He emailed me overnite saying he talked to Peter Falk about the wheel. No one has heard of the wheel, but most agree that it is/was a "cheater" spare, never intended to be used on a car. He confirmed what Peter Hoffman told me, that the KPZ part number 699016 is, in fact, the part number for the 906 front 7Kx15 alloy/steel wheel. Jim & Harvey had it right! Thanks guys for your input........Bill
    Last edited by acoupe; 11-21-2016 at 06:16 AM.

In one book (don't remember title nor the author... will check tonight) describing developpment and race results of several plastic cars (904, 906, 908...) there is a chapter describing that Porsche ordered a batch of alu. center wheels for development purposes (906 I think, but might be for 904).
    IIRC, the result was that they were not reliable enough, and decided to scrap them. BUT a few were ordered and delivered to customers by inadvertance. Once again IIRC, porsche tried to track the wheels back...

You may have something even rarer than an original 904/906 wheel...

And for what it's worth, I tend to believe that 906 wheels didn't have the hubcaps bumps on the center.

KEVIN???? Where are you? Please, set everybody straight on this one!

Olivier.

Any update?

Interesting topic.

Olivier.

No update Olivier. I bought this wheel thinking it was a 904 wheel, but obviously it`s not. Would trade for a 5 or 5 1/2x15 alloy/steel wheel. I have some drumbrake a/s wheels for trades also.

The 906 did not have a wheel that would receive a hubcap...no lugs for the hub cap.... all smooth!

Rivets were used because that's just how they made em (steel to alui)! Welding would anneal the aluminum thus not giving the strength needed. Porsche knew the wheel would be not as strong but lighter yes! I'm sure a few escaped car trunks because some Genius said "lets use these as spare tire wheels and save some weight! And by the way, there were no such rules stating the spare or even the wheels on the car had to be all steel. Bill has a VERY COOL Porsche "WIN" part. Yes I would like to have it to go with my Titanium gear (second) from a 917-30 gearbox.....which the Factory ol' boy club says, "they were never made"!

Lots of "WIN" parts through the years... chime in boys....some day I will tell my stories of what I have found!

Thanks Bill and I'm looking to come up with something to trade!

KJ

BIG GT Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by gumby1953 View Post
    . . . The 906 did not have a wheel that would receive a hubcap...no lugs for the hub cap.... all smooth! . . .
    Hm. So --- where'd these 10-inchers come from, then? Off of a 356? . . . or 904 maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by gumby1953 View Post
    . . . Rivets were used because that's just how they made em (steel to alui)! Welding would anneal the aluminum thus not giving the strength needed . . .
    Uuuuuum . . .

'. . . The general rule is to avoid joining metals far apart in the galvanic series. For example, steel is anodic next to brass, and stainless steel is cathodic next to zinc or aluminum. Another way to read this is that steel corrodes next to brass and stainless steel, while aluminum and zinc corrode next to steel when an electrolyte and a conductive path are present . . .'
    http://solarprofessional.com/article...-for-pv-arrays

. . . = steel eats alu --- hence riveting vs welding

Cheaper, too?

Then/again --- I've never read/seen/heard the details of how Porsche constructed their GT wheels. I always assumed that the alu bits where either anodized of painted or treated in some particular way to keep them from self-destructing when they touched steel. I mean --- the rivets that join the steel centers to the alu rims are copper, fercryinoutloud! If that isn't a recipe for galvanic corrosion, then I don't know what is!

And/yet . . . I had a set of 4-inchers on my 356 that never gave me any problems . . . and they were 30-years-old when I found them

And I've never read/seen/heard anyone re-build these, either, so . . .

. . . Porsche's approach must be a good one

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by LongRanger; 11-24-2016 at 08:01 AM.

We Can Be Heroes