Thread: Seeking input on 356's

Seeking input on 356's

Hello all:

I am debating on adding a 356 to my collection and the two models that I am drawn to are the A coupe (given the epic lines and all the jewelry of the early cars like the steering wheel/ivory switches and bumper over riders) and a B roadster as it is the closest affordable model with the speedster DNA. I am more drawn to the A coupe as it is near impossible to find a good roadster for under $200K which is more than pushing my budget. I would like to know how a 356 ownership (mostly the driving experience) relates to a long hood. As an owner of a 2.4 E I am always drawn to the beauty of the 356's but would like to know how an A coupe would differ from a B roadster. Which car is more fun to own/drive. Any current or former owners please chime in. The car would not be a trailer queen for sure.

I had a 52 coupe, two Belgian built B roadsters, and two B cabriolets, used them for daily drivers with wood wheels, no seat belts and lived to tell the tale. They are of course slower than a 911 but as much fun to drive, Find a Conv. D and you will have the best of both worlds.

A coupe. Get a '59 model with the 716 trans. An early one with the low bar on the front, looks cleaner. I have had lots of 356 cars mostly speedsters but number of A coupes as well. 59 A's are really nice. However if shopping for a 356 now , I would go for a '60 or '61 T5B S90 coupe. Bigger brakes, 741 trans, 90hp S90 engine, camber compensator etc. The long unloved T5 cars are smaller than the T6 and have many of the hallmarks of the A but for the nose and higher headlights. It still has the A rear lid, rear window and front window too, I think. I would find a beater and do an S90 GT redo. Get rid of the entire stock interior. Put in a vinyl interior, a speedster seat and call it good. Then spend all the money on the suspension and drive train.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Fantastic thoughts .. keep it coming. Thank you.

. . . Then Decide

Quote Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE View Post
    . . . debating on adding a 356 to my collection and the two models that I am drawn to are the A coupe (given the epic lines and all the jewelry of the early cars like the steering wheel/ivory switches and bumper over riders) and a B roadster . . .

. . . car would not be a trailer queen for sure . . .
    I owned a 356B Roadster for almost 13 years. I'd been peddling-around in VWs for a few years before then, and --- just decided to move up

At some point, I'd decided that I wanted an open car --- for the looks + take advantage of our killer climate here in SoCal. 356s are very similar mechanically to VWs so . . . off I went, searching

Speedies were already a-bit-of-a-reach financially. And, frankly --- kinda common. Even back then --- late '80s . . . seems I saw them everywhere. (They even built kit kar Speedies, fercryinoutloud!) So, at first I wanted a Convertible D --- has the A's smoothness + pretty rare, too --- = no kit kars . . . but, after two years . . . I got tired of searching

The car I found --- 87901 . . . was an unrestored '60 Roadster. Some bondo in the front fender, a duff drivers' side rocker, and 20 pounds of the worst white paint you can imagine --- but? . . . .

. . . original everything-else. Motor, trans, floors, longitudinals, original tar-paper under the battery in an original battery box . . . even had its original date-coded hub caps. With panel gaps to die for, bank vault closures

She was NO show car --- but . . . what a sweet/honest/lovely Little Beater

But --- back to your choice

Coupes are wonderful --- smooth, comfortable, good performance, w/ a surprisingly modern feel . . . you'll be fine in traffic . . . and any in weather, too. Killer heaters

But? --- IMO . . .

. . . to get the full 'Porsche' experience --- the hummy motor, the click-clack gear-change, drum-tight construction, light/direct controls, super-natural road-holding . . .

. . . you gotta (at least) try an open Porsche

Coupes are excellent cars --- you'll never regret a purchase . . .

. . . but --- before you plunk down your Hard-Earned? . . .

. . . drive the Roadster . . .

. . . along any coast . . .

. . . or over any mountain road . . .

. . . or anywhere the sun shines . . .

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LongRanger; 11-17-2016 at 03:09 PM.

We Can Be Heroes