Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '69T USA front seat belts

'69T USA front seat belts

To all,

According to my restorer, the 3-point non-retractable replacement seatbelts supplied by SMC (141.857.703) are not correct for a '69T USA-type. Does anyone have experience with this and have a suggestion for a better source?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Interesting that I've had zero replies, and unfortunately I think I now know why. It appears that as of today, there is no source for 3-point LWB seatbelts that are like the Porsche originals. Sierra Madre sells repro belt hardware covers, but the belts they sell are are completely generic, with material and fittings totally different from the Porsche originals, and not compatible with the hardware covers they sell. In addition, the male buckle end of the repro belts is not compatible with the original Porsche belt receiver attached to the seat. If you want/need new belts, the choices appear to be 1) have them custom made using your original hardware (good luck finding someone willing to take on that liability), find used originals, or buy the modern replacements and install by removing the original mounting hardware and receivers and install the repro hardware and receivers that look nothing like the original.

Rich

Yes, used is what you need. Check with Jim at EASY he may be able to help you out: http://www.easypor.com/
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    Yes, used is what you need. Check with Jim at EASY he may be able to help you out: http://www.easypor.com/
    I've got a bunch of the belts, but they are all missing the covers. Typically, a 69 car came with belts with 68 date stamps.

Regards

Jim

Before I bought my Porsche, I played with 240Zs. Like your '69, no original type belts were available, but several people I knew had their originals restored/rewebbed by this outfit, with very good reviews.

http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/mm5/mercha...tegory_Code=RS

if you can scan the original sewn in labels, I believe they can even reproduce those.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    Hardware is available, just need the time to find it. eBay is good source and even here original seat belts come up for sale now and then. I just sold a RoW set fixed belts for a MY69. Finding webbing that is still in good condition (if you can say that for 40+ yrs old webbing) is the most difficult part and I do not know if the material used today is exactly the same as in the time. For retractable seat belts it is much easier, the material used now is exactly the same as then so much easier to restore the reels. If you go the route of restoring yourself then make sure the guy is doing the stitching uses correct certified material and have him replicate the stitch pattern as per original. Repro labels are easy, Stretch has perfect ones for every year.
    The rivets used to fix the webbing to the plastic dividers are available, but you probably have to buy 100 pcs to get them. If you miss a plastic cover for the tongue, ask around here as well.

Good luck,

Cees

Anyone buy the Sierra Madre replacement covers? Are they any good?
    Last edited by mfitton; 12-14-2016 at 05:23 AM.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

I too have learned recently that there is a whole world out there that supplies vintage seat belts. I got some parts for my 1960 Jaguar from Andover Restraints (andoauto.com), and they sell vintage seat belts and hardware. Both Andover and Ssnake-oyl have a lot of different type of parts including covers, retractors, nuts, bolts, etc. Worth looking at their sites if you need something.

I also (just) sent an old set of belts to ssnake-oyl products that Arne mentioned to be re-webbed and the old tags re-used. They do offer all kinds of restoration on belts and hardware, including re-chroming.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

I just went out in the shop and collected a few 69 (1968 date stamp)seat belts. I've got more than enough.

Regards

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A picture of the tag off are 7-69 911e.... Jim