Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asking For PayPal F&F Payments in For Sale Threads

Asking For PayPal F&F Payments in For Sale Threads

Just some food for thought, lately on the forums I frequent I am seeing more and more people getting ripped off after the seller requests in his ad that they need to pay through PayPal F&F. Could a forum like this be pursued for damages for allowing sellers to ask for F&F payments. I see especially the "Newbies" falling for this, a big ticket item over on the Pelican for example:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...gursahani.html

Now this is only one example and I bet there are a lot more buyers who are too embarrassed to report what happened. Should there be a ban on asking for F&F payment in the for sale ads?
    Last edited by mfitton; 12-19-2016 at 09:38 PM.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

You are on crack. The F&F is for friends iike on this site. I do 40K a month on Paypal and I pay my points. Parts between friends are F&F Who Cares.

Quote Originally Posted by trdking View Post
    You are on crack. The F&F is for friends iike on this site. I do 40K a month on Paypal and I pay my points. Parts between friends are F&F Who Cares.

Wow 40k a month hope that income is being reported since you just posted it on a public forum. So you ask for F&F payment in your ads? If you do and it is allowed by a forum I am saying they may become liable if the deal goes south. I am not on crack but I did have a couple of cold brews earlier. Any attorneys want to chime in? Remember I am not referring to a buyer who offers to F&F through PM.
    Last edited by mfitton; 12-19-2016 at 09:39 PM.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White

Quote Originally Posted by trdking View Post
    No offense, but that is absolutely incorrect. The Paypal terms and conditions are very clear on this point:

"Receiving personal payments: If you use your PayPal account to receive payments for the sale of goods and services or accept donations, you must not ask your buyer to send you money using the “send money to a friend or family member.” If you do so, PayPal may remove your PayPal account’s ability to accept payments from friends or family members."

Oh, and I do seven figures a month on Paypal and still pay all my personal fees.

Well maybe I should shorten my inquiry a bit. If a deal goes south and the seller asked for F&F PayPal payment in his original sales thread does anyone feel that the forum could be held liable? The only reason I am asking is I know of someone who is considering this angle of pursuit on another forum.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White

Restoration newbie.
    I think your friend should man up and swallow the bitter pill of loss, when you get scammed you need to go after the scammer, not be made whole by the venue.

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ajwans View Post
    I think your friend should man up and swallow the bitter pill of loss, when you get scammed you need to go after the scammer, not be made whole by the venue.

andy
    It is not a friend of mine I just had heard of the possibility and wanted to know if it was possible. When people get scammed and lawyer up they pursue every angle to get their money back.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White

As on the European scale authorized patent attorney I don´t have really a clue of the US Internet law. But to my understanding this forum will not be liable if they don´t forbid F&F option. BTW the would have to forbid normal bank transfer same way.
    Last edited by dirk07; 12-20-2016 at 03:38 AM. Reason: terms in germany and US differ

Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    Wow 40k a month hope that income is being reported since you just posted it on a public forum. So you ask for F&F payment in your ads? If you do and it is allowed by a forum I am saying they may become liable if the deal goes south. I am not on crack but I did have a couple of cold brews earlier. Any attorneys want to chime in? Remember I am not referring to a buyer who offers to F&F through PM.
    Its a business and I pay all of my taxes. I have a CPA that pre audits me every year. As far as this sites liability I have no idea. I am not an attorney. I do not advertise for payment through F&F All of my transactions go the regular channels and I pay points. When it comes to a part off of here, I have no issues sending money F&F. and I really doubt that Paypal would block my account for it.
    Last edited by trdking; 12-20-2016 at 02:52 AM.

Shift Knob Maker
    In my opinion, asking for a paypal payment without being willing to pay the fee is fraud. If someone wanted your part or service and asked you to send it without paying, or payed less than the agreed upon price you would be pissed. Paypal provides a service that works and no one else offers, they have the right to charge and get paid for that. If you don't like it, go back to accepting checks and see how that works. Or open a business account and accept credit cards and see if you can accept them without paying fees. Figure out how to get parts level funds from another country and see how fun that is.

Yes, paypal fees suck, ALL fees suck, suck it up and pay for the service or create your own funds transfer company.

My rant has ended.
    Mark..