Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Asking For PayPal F&F Payments in For Sale Threads

I'm just a small time buyer and seller of collectibles. When i buy something outside of eBay but using PayPal, I just offer to add the 3% fee to my total payment to keep the seller whole. We're both covered and I don't feel guilty.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by dirk07 View Post
    BTW the would have to forbid normal bank transfer same way.
    No they wouldn't. Completely unrelated.

Also, the site could not be held liable in any of the scenarios discussed in this thread.

I find it quite strange to sue the forum for a scam

Imagine you met your future EX wife in a diner organised by a friend.

Would you sue your friend because you made the wrong decision? Kind of weird... Take the risk and if it turns wrong, then kick your own arse!

@ LiveFrom NY
    Don´t see a difference in F&F and bankwire.

The starter of this threat asked if this forum could be held liable. I totally agree with you in this point. No, they are not in any mentioned cases.

As I understand he would like to stop F&F to been offered here, because it allowes scammer to make money. I don´t see a difference in bankwire. Check is different.

I can only speak of Germany, so it might be different in the states.
    If I have finished a bankwire, I will only have the chance to get my money back:

1. IBAN not valid- you will get back the money automaticly
    2. double or tripple bankwire to same account within short time - it is possible to get the money back
    3. go to the bank within the same work day to stop the transaction and pay 15-45€ to the bank, as long as the amount is not on the sellers account - will not help you, cause the shipping will take longer and you will remark later than a work day if it is a scammer or not

How are the regularies to open a bank account in the USA? And is the bank liable if the seller has gone south?

@ Peter: German PayPal forbids to add the PayPal fees on the price or that the buyer pays the fees.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    No they wouldn't. Completely unrelated.

Also, the site could not be held liable in any of the scenarios discussed in this thread.
    Makes sense. I guess asking for F&F payment is not illegal or fraudulent just against PayPal terms. Do you see any scenarios where the site could be held liable when a deal goes south.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

@ LiveFrom NY
    Don´t see a difference in F&F and bankwire.

The starter of this threat asked if this forum could be held liable. I totally agree with you in this point. No, they are not in any mentioned cases.

As I understand he would like to stop F&F to been offered here, because it allowes scammer to make money. I don´t see a difference in bankwire. Check is different.
    Then let me help.

The question of liability was not primarily related to the inability to recover lost funds. It should be obvious that the neither the site nor its owners could be held liable for the result of a lawful, private transaction between third parties.

A Paypal F&F payment is different in that sending a F&F payment in return for products is a clear violation of Paypal's user agreement. Because Paypal offers no warranty of F&F transactions, users who choose to violate this policy have no recourse in the event of non-delivery of purchased items. Mike's question was, to paraphrase, "Because this site allows sellers to advertise a payment method that violates a third party's terms and conditions, and because said oayment method could potentially put buyers at risk, does the site incur any potential liability to the buyers for allowing those advertisements?".

The answer is no.

Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
    Makes sense. I guess asking for F&F payment is not illegal or fraudulent just against PayPal terms. Do you see any scenarios where the site could be held liable when a deal goes south.
    I don't, Mike. There are laws in place to protect website owners in these situations. Unless the site owners actively advised its members/visitors to take these actions, it would be virtualy impossible to hold them liable. Even then, it would be a fight.
    Last edited by LiveFromNY; 12-21-2016 at 06:13 AM.

Thanks for clearification.

I got it.

Thanks for clearification.

I got it.
    Happy to help. Fröhliche Weihnachten!

IMG_8982.jpg

The Museum doesn´t accept PayPal yet.