Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fenders Old vs "New"

Are all the factory replacement front fenders for 65 cars then without the wide lip?
    Or are there exceptions?
    Then we need to adjust this and weld some metal on it to wider the lip?

To my knowledge, which could be wrong but I don't think it is, all replacement fenders are the thin lipped '68 type. Original '67 thick lipped are seemingly rare but do pop up from time to time.

In the photo I showed two front fenders. I don't believe there's any differences in the rear but I could be wrong.

If you have a '68 fender, don't hack it up, trade it for what you need. There's no sense in making those kinds of changes. Plus there are other differences too that I haven't talked about yet, you just asked about the lip.

Thanks to help!

Our frontfenders were full of rust and damaged too heavily to repair.
    My my restorator bought 2 porsche factory replacement fenders for 65 cars(the ones only Porsche sells).
    Because we found no good original front fenders.

He is now doing the bodywork.
    If you still want to help and have the time:
    Could you list up some other differences?
    This week I am going to him and will first check the lip.

Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    To my knowledge, which could be wrong but I don't think it is, all replacement fenders are the thin lipped '68 type. Original '67 thick lipped are seemingly rare but do pop up from time to time.

In the photo I showed two front fenders. I don't believe there's any differences in the rear but I could be wrong.

If you have a '68 fender, don't hack it up, trade it for what you need. There's no sense in making those kinds of changes. Plus there are other differences too that I haven't talked about yet, you just asked about the lip.

Name:  IMG_2825.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  73.1 KB

On the left is a Four screw '65-early '66 horn grill attachment point. Note that it has four holes, hence four screw horn grills. On your right is a '68 that only has two holes.

Name:  IMG_2826.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  57.7 KB

Again, on your left is a pre-'68 turn signal bucket and mounting holes. On the right is a '68 style. I don't know if turn signal housing are interchangeable but I hope so, the '68 style is very expensive.

Name:  IMG_2827.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  51.0 KB
    This is a '68 headlight bucket with four mounting points. Above.

Below, I'm a bit confused about myself. This is a '65-early '66.
    Name:  IMG_2828.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  36.0 KB
    Last edited by Puma; 07-08-2017 at 04:12 PM.

There is no mounting tabs for a 1965-1967 headlight bucket if you are using the 1968 style bucket for a pre 1968 they should be removed. Or replace the headlight bucket whichever is easier for you
    Doug Lehman
    Member #2825
    1966 912

1978 911SC Targa fun in the sun

Quote Originally Posted by CDOUGLEHMAN View Post
    There is no mounting tabs for a 1965-1967 headlight bucket if you are using the 1968 style bucket for a pre 1968 they should be removed. Or replace the headlight bucket whichever is easier for you
    Thanks for the clarification!

Also worth noting that maybe sometimes its fogotten in this concours hype that narrower (68') lip is more safe if you plan to ever run wider tyres in front, factory did that mod on purpose (I mean if you use steels for show and then e.g. wider Fuchs for proper driving time to time). Also I would imagine that it was pretty standard previously to roll those wider lip fenders.
    - Ville -

1967 911 Slate Grey/red, fully restored + 66' "r-ish" hotrod project

Has anybody got any pictures of the OE Porsche fenders 1965>?

this is a very cool thread that has wandered into several topics that each have their own details. but to answer thread response #11 from michael winters, there are four basic differences between the 65-67 and 68 fenders.

first, the headlight bucket for 65-67 did not have the mounting tabs (and also used a different headlight assembly to fit that bucket). this difference as also noted by cdouglehman. the "replacement" fenders all tended to have the tabs in the headlight buckets, as well. i was told that the 65-67 headlight assembly can still fit the 68 bucket with tabs, but i have never investigated that claim.

second, the turn signal bucket for 65 accommodated horn grills with 4-screws (as shown in the photo provided by puma). the 67-68 horn grills/buckets had 2 screws, also as shown in puma's photos. i am not certain when the transition was made from 4-screws to 2-screws. the "replacement fenders i have seen were all set up 2-screw horn grills, which would seem to make it tough to backdate a replacement fender to accommodate 4 screws.

third, the 65-67 fenders had full-depth fender lips as the photos show. as 'will 1967' notes, the lips were tapered to accommodate wheels wide than 4.5", which was the designated wheel width prior to '68. (5.5" wheels were standard for 68.) as 'will 1967' notes, it was common for owners to roll the lip upward to allow running wider wheels/tires. (obviously, the width of the lip is an easy check for judges in car shows, and prospective buyers.) i have never seen anyone attempt to weld wide lips onto fenders with tapered lips, but i suppose it is possible. the 'replacement' fenders also had the tapered lip.

fourth, the 68 fenders had 2 holes in the fender between the turn signal bucket and the front of the wheelwell. these 2 holes were for the side reflectors that were required for US cars. the "replacement" fenders did not have these 2 holes, and many of the older 68 restorations did not drill those holes, or include the side reflectors.

i have checked for other differences between 65-67 and 68 fenders, but i have not found any. others have told me that the fenders are interchangeable, except for the 4 differences explained above.

i have never discussed the potential for a repop company like restoration design to make fenders with 65-67 features, but that would be an interesting chat.

i hope this helps.

But that makes it even more interesting!
    To explain:

My car 303381 is a late december 1965 car.
    I am already quite a long time looking for the correct latchpanel and the position of the metal vin plate.
    You can read this here:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...h-panel-or-not

At the end there is a person who own a original 303366 (Joris Koning).
    Also other people confirm that this is one of the first cars with the flat latchpanel + vin plate on the latchpanel.
    It also seems (under investigation and needs confirm from the owner) that the change of latchpanel also introduced the 2 screw horn grills.

A) So > 303366 would have the 2 mounting tabs for 2 screw horn grills
    B) What about the full-depth fender lips? I suppose this remains
    C) What about the fuel compartment in the front fender? When you open the fuel flap on the front fender, with the factory replacement parts there is like a extra hole in it.
    With (pss his car BY65 / MY65) this is not. What would be the correct one for my car? Did from that on had the hole or not?
    See picture:

Factory replacement part
    Name:  Schermafbeelding 2017-01-04 om 11.34.05.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  64.5 KB

pss his car
    Name:  Schermafbeelding 2017-01-04 om 11.34.42.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  56.0 KB