Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fenders Old vs "New"

The hole didn't start until long wheel base.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Edmayo,

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    The hole didn't start until long wheel base.

So for example: I have ordered Euro 4487 lights with John (Audette).
    How are they attached in a headlight bucket without the 4 tabs?
    Maybe a stupid question, but how are these attached to the bucket?

Quote Originally Posted by CDOUGLEHMAN View Post
    There is no mounting tabs for a 1965-1967 headlight bucket if you are using the 1968 style bucket for a pre 1968 they should be removed. Or replace the headlight bucket whichever is easier for you

The 4 tabs are only used for the US spec sealed beam headlights. Any other lights just use the large screw at the 6:00 position and snap over the flange of the headlight bucket.
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

Perfect!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by endo911rs View Post
    The 4 tabs are only used for the US spec sealed beam headlights. Any other lights just use the large screw at the 6:00 position and snap over the flange of the headlight bucket.

Anyone some pictures of the original manual radio hole in the fenders?
    How it looks like on the outside and inside?
    Also some dimensions of the hole and dimension to the side of fuel flap/gap?

Because on factory replacement fender there is not hole for this.
    And maybe also at the interior of the fender needs some metalwork...

I just read another small text in the 911 book of Dr. B.Johnson on page 5.
    There is written: The US cars had four brackets located inside the headlight bucket.
    No such brackets were found in bon US spec cars.
    The change in front feneders is not acknowledged by the parts book nor is the change in fenders that occured when the horn grilles were modified. This happened during the 1966 model year. This change in the fender consisted of aditional brackets by which the two screw grilles were attached.

So what I was thinking:

A. Did the late BY65 MY66 and early BY66 MY66 cars had still the 4 square corners on the fenders dor attaching 4 screw horn grills? And did they just add 2 extra mouting tabs in the middle for the 2 screw hirn grills?
    B Or did they just removed the 4 moutinf corners and changed this by 2 middle mouting tabs?

i think you have photos of 4-screw signal buckets on entry #14 of this thread. i don't have specific knowledge of 65-66, so i cannot speak to your question, directly.

my car, however is very early 68 (build date 8/67), and i can add one note with some honest certainty. the later fasteners for the horn grills were slide nuts, which i think are also called "U" nuts. the U nuts slipped over the steel tabs (with the holes) and allowed some flexibility in matching/fitting.

based on the photos provided by 'Puma,' it appears that the 4-screw grills used simple sheet metal screws.

one other observation re: the headlight bucket ... the later bucket (with the tabs) has 3 holes in the bottom: the large hole for the wiring harness; a smaller hole for the drain; and a third hole (which i was told was for) the turn signal harness. the earlier buckets did not have 3 holes. not sure what that means.

Mshaver51,

Thanks for reply!
    One question: You are writing about the later fasteners for the horn grills that they were slide nuts/U nuts. These allowed some flexibility. Was this done after 68?
    Because for example you have the factory replacement fender:
    Name:  IMG_8447.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  74.7 KB

And then you have a fender of one of the earlier posts in this thread.
    Name:  Schermafbeelding 2017-01-14 om 18.28.49.png
Views: 395
Size:  383.1 KB

To you mean with the U nuts, the metal colored part of the replacement fender?
    Because with both fenders the hole in the tab is way to large I suppose to screw a horn grill in.

About the headlight bucket:
    The earlier buckets had only 2 holes. Like you told the large hole for wiring harness and the small for the drain. Were these smaller holes always located on the side of the passenger? Or was the left for passenger and right for driver if your set the larger hole as the middle point?
    I suppose both left from the larger hole. Thinking they only made one form to make these?

Quote Originally Posted by mshaver51 View Post
    i think you have photos of 4-screw signal buckets on entry #14 of this thread. i don't have specific knowledge of 65-66, so i cannot speak to your question, directly.

my car, however is very early 68 (build date 8/67), and i can add one note with some honest certainty. the later fasteners for the horn grills were slide nuts, which i think are also called "U" nuts. the U nuts slipped over the steel tabs (with the holes) and allowed some flexibility in matching/fitting.

based on the photos provided by 'Puma,' it appears that the 4-screw grills used simple sheet metal screws.

one other observation re: the headlight bucket ... the later bucket (with the tabs) has 3 holes in the bottom: the large hole for the wiring harness; a smaller hole for the drain; and a third hole (which i was told was for) the turn signal harness. the earlier buckets did not have 3 holes. not sure what that means.

Since the entire harness comes into the bucket from the J tube, there needs to be a hole for the parklight part of the harness to exit the bucket and go to park light ass'ly.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.