Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 65 - 66 production change over

Just to confuse things a bit more, or possibly throw out for discussion something that is completely wrong, I was talking to an owner of one of the cars that has a kardex Ausgel.am date of July 1965 but a 66 paint badge. It struck me that given the car probably would have been completed up to a couple of weeks before the Ausgel.am date (as that date is when it left the factory and earlier records show some time between when cars re finished a per the build book and the Ausgel.am date) and all of the features apart from the paint badge are pure 65, that those last few cars produced late in June 1965 MAY have had 66 paint badges put on them to "make them look like new(er) model cars". The same sort of thing happened at the end of June 1966 when the last 20 to 30 cars became the "Deluxe" cars apparently to freshen them to compete against the newer model or otherwise get them sold.

We have to remember that Porsche were in the business of selling cars and newer model cars always sell better than old ones. So maybe the 66 paint stamp at the back end of 65 production cars (I have a 66 code appearing as early as car 301945 which went to Sonauto but Porsche documentation says was an August 65 car). Interestingly all of those 66 paint stamp but looking like 65 cars that I have kardexes for (or other data signifying a Ausgel.am date) show them LEAVING the factory in late July or early August.

To be complete however i also have some 64 paint badge cars leaving the factory in early, and in one case late July.

However i am wondering from all of this whether a 66 paint number, at least for the earliest cars, is a reliable indicator of a change in "model year" when all of the other features of the car suggest 65?
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

I know of one 3017xx with 66xx paint code, but it was a very special order for a very special customer, and most certainly a 1965 car otherwise.
    The invoice date of July 29, 1965 seems to be the day of transition with both 64xx & 66xx codes. Prior dates seem to be all 64xx with the exception of 3017xx noted above. Later dates seem to be all 66xx except for the higher 641x codes. We would need to see the Reutter book to be certain of anything.
    There were 253 1967 Deluxe models from 304703 through 304955.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

20.7.65 rubinrot 6402
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Looking for 1967 911 trans 130830/902-1

Factory Production

Ever so often I like to remind myself that during the 911 build up to full production (fall of 1965 and into the spring of 1966) there were a few cars just sitting - for what ever reason - to be completed. Notice the missing (EDIT - not yet installed - see Eric's comment below) headlights in the first row.

Order of serial number sequence could not have been a priority. Getting the right car in the right color with the right accessories with country appropriate features to the dealer and new owner was the huge task.

The scholarly investigation you guys are putting together is outstanding. By pulling together small pieces of data from all corners of the world and sharing documents we are able to compile monthly, weekly and daily accounting for many of these cars.

You guys amaze me.
    Keep it going.

And, in response to the long ago asked question "Where was the mm park height of the windshield wiper"... take your pick from that same photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Bobs 67S; 01-05-2017 at 09:38 AM.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Bob, Imho the front lights are not missing. Those are USA type headlight buckets without the head "lamp" insert.

e

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    Bob, Imho the front lights are not missing. Those are USA type headlight buckets without the head "lamp" insert.

e
    Erik, wasn't that one of your jobs at the dealership, inserting the sealed-beam 40W bulbs in cars off the boat?
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

From about 1955 through about early 1959 we see the following option on the Kardex for USA cars: "sealed beam Scheinwerfer-Einsätze"
    I am guessing this means the headlight assembly without sealed beam bulb installed.
    How long was this in practice?
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    Erik, wasn't that one of your jobs at the dealership, inserting the sealed-beam 40W bulbs in cars off the boat?
    Nope! I had the cosmoline cleaning duty, with kerosene. Yuck job. I personally don't recall that any cars came in without headlights already installed. Our cars went through a brokers hand (either Ben Pon's or another broker who got the car from Pon) and at their shop the cars had USA type updates. It really depended on the year of the car. In 1968 we were getting cars with full USA spec unless it was ordered otherwise.

Here's a pic of a 68L that dad ordered, this pic was shot on the dock up in Vancouver BC. This was a European model, and there's 2 boxes of Hella headlights in front of the car, which I believe they installed before crossing the border into the USA. The speedo was converted to MPH in Holland. I found the car a couple of years ago, and it's in storage.

E

Name:  Don Grish car.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  37.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    Garry
    For what it is worth I have a record of 303408 being completed on 11 January 1966 (Ausgel.am on Kardex or date delivered from factory which we know from the build book records of the very first cars is probably a few days after actual completion but is the Kardex completion date as opposed to the date delivered to the customer which is Abnahme-Besch.on the Kardex) I also have a record of 303393 with a Ausgel.am of 5 January 1966. We know that the cars were not produced in numerical order but without seeing the Kardex on 303404 the odds are that as Michael says it was both a 66 model year and 66 calendar year car. Regardless it is a 66 model year car. Is it LHD or RHD? - that can make a difference as the RHD cars were built in batches and the build date timing can be out by weeks compared to other cars (as sometimes are special colour cars). I dont have any records of RHD cars being built around that number or date.
    Hi Hugh

Would you mind sharing with me the Engine and G/Box number of 303408 ? as I'm going to check over 303404 tomorrow , the numbers should be close ,
    you can email me if that's better garrysubwaybroadway@xtra.co.nz
    cheers
    Garry

garry
    I sent you an email

would love to hear what you find when you see it.

regards
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776