Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Four 1969S available on eBay: 1/01/17

That first one's a pretty little car. It'd be interesting to note whether it was actually purchased new from Vasek Polak or if that's just a gorgeous little frame put on there to add value.
    Porsche taste on a Volkswagen budget...

East Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
    They did a very nice job taking it to the next level.....

Also like the AK car but IMO also priced a bit more than market as it has sat for months....
    WOW...they certainly did! The underside of your former steed looks much different...a far cry from the last time I saw it..but then again your cars where never just another pretty face...you built your cars to drive the heck out of them...which I certainly can attest you did..

The AK example is a good looking car....maybe the color change hurts its value?
    Who knows...looks like a good car but a little rich IMO..

To me, both look like great cars for different reasons.. one to sit in a collection and the other that can still be driven..
    Values? Ask vs sell price? Current market and trending market projections?
    Who knows...I guess in the end it comes down to the old adage "they are worth what someone is willing to pay for it"..
    But as you and I have often discussed, usually the best cars are the ones sitting in a private garage that exchange hands quietly between two enthusiasts...
    So let the hunt continue...
    Last edited by MikeM; 01-02-2017 at 11:40 AM.

OG3
    RG715

All of these examples have either just enough wrong with them or lack info to keep them unsold.

The AK car is a color change and displacement change yet a really nice car.

The black restored example with the extremely suspect high bids (by private bidders no less...) is off to a questionable start on eBay.

The white car has been around for a year or so.

The slate gray car is just wrong

I agree with the sentiments on market softening. It's not helping sellers' cause when they are asking two years ago money...
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Opinions please...car vs. car of equal quality, what is generally more desirable, 69S or 70S?

McQueen kept the 69S and sold the other.......

My only driving exposure to a 2.2S did not leave me with any real feeling of differentiation from the 2.0S.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

I'll be curious to see how the market turns-out for these cars. I've been "window shopping" for an "interesting" no-sunroof '69S coupe for a couple/few years, but didn't want to buy into an "overheated" market.

The metallic red '69S for sale earlier this year caught my eye and seemed priced within reason. The nicely done crystal blue '69S as well, but had peak market pricing. There was another '69S around the same time as the metallic red that was reasonable.

I guess the market spread is from the owner that needs/wants to sell in a reasonable time-frame to the owner that doesn't need to sell and is "attached" to the previously rapidly appreciating market. That "spread" today seems to be about $100k+. Personally, I don't trust the $172k e-bay bid on the black S.

I'm all about fixing, maintaining and driving these cars, but I can't mentally afford a $50k mistake. To further complicate matters, what I'd really like is an un-restored driver and those are in their own market - likely higher and more subjective.

When I do "pull-the-trigger" I'll be grateful for all the knowledge on this forum and I doubt I'll do anything before using some vetting from the board members.

Thanks all!
    Bill
    1969 911T - sold
    2001 911 Turbo - sold
    1996 911 C4S - returned
    1982 911SC - gone
    1960 356 Roadster - sold

Thx Lewis.

I've been VERY tempted by this Black car too as I've had the pleasure of spending quite a bit of time with it. And, if I sell my '73 E Targa and maybe even my 914 2.0 (not listed), then I might just figure out a way to keep this car as I think in the long run, it will do quite well (Mostly 2-west coast owner/95k documented mile with a lot of originality). Personally, I just like driving it.

We marketed the car back in May and quickly had a buyer at $155k. However, after PPI, it needed some things (about $5k worth), which have been addressed. The buyer went a way and the owner and I decided to take it off the market. So, yes, it had been in my showroom, but not listed until about a couple weeks ago. The market was non existent through the summer and early fall. However, we have recently seen an uptick in buyers looking for good honest cars at a fair price. And, there just aren't many and the owners who have them usually aren't going to sell them below what they want.

So, economics is in action. The supply of good quality early 911s that are coming to market is dwindling. The speculators, who really aren't that much into these cars, have pretty much left the building. There are still some lingering lipstick-on-a-pig examples who showed up late to the party and that's about it. I'm seeing more quality cars going back into private collections and being taken off the market then ever before.

That is certainly where this car is. If we don't sell it in the next 30-days, it will just simply go back to the owner and stay quiet for another year or two...who knows.

Just my $0.02 worth of rambling

Cheers,

Paul

1966 BMW 1600 (one of first in U.S.)
    1967 VW Beetle Sedan (Honeymoon car)
    1984 Porsche 928S (Hindenburg)
    1986/1973 Backdated 911 Coupe (R Gruppe/La Tortuga)
    1987 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo
    1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S
    1999 BMW M Coupe (Race soon to be Rally)
    2003 Jaguar S-Type R Supercharged (family hauler/rain car)
    2004 Porsche 996 GT3
    2005 Chevy Express 16-passenger van (for hauling everything else)

http://www.autokennel.com

Quote Originally Posted by mac73s View Post
    Opinions please...car vs. car of equal quality, what is generally more desirable, 69S or 70S?
    The cars are very similar aside from engine and color choices. I don't think one is better than the other.

The main difference is in the engines. The 69S is more unique, the 70S more driveable. If you are into "1sts" and 1 year only stuff, it's 69S. If you want something that is better on regular roads, 70S
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-HB View Post
    So, economics is in action.
    Correct and I do think the deflating of the euro has significant impact.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

or there's this beauty on St Louis CL http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/5939120986.html

VIN 119301483, one of the last 10 69 S coupes produced, but it's ugly, color change, later flag mirrors, update rear bumper....all for an asking price of $110k.....and since it's craigslist, maybe it isn't even real.

Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 3.28.08 PM.jpg
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622