Thread: Price check: Original steel wheels early '66 911

Price check: Original steel wheels early '66 911

Does anyone know what the original steel chrome wheels for my early '66 911 would be worth? Any resources I can look to for value?

Jamie Klein

Jamie, You're best bet is to look at two places... Here and eBay. Look at recent postings for steel wheels on here and look for sold ebay sales. It all will come down to condition and having a buyer who needs that date code.

Without seeing them it's impossible to be accurate but I'd say typically about $200ea or $1000 for the set of 4 if they're all date matched.
    Porsche taste on a Volkswagen budget...

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    I recently sold two with relatively rare early 1965 date stamps (they were one month apart) for $ 200 each. I was figuring something like $ 400-500 for a freshly re-chromed wheel.

The buyer was happy with that price--he was after those specific date stamps.

The wheels I sold needed chrome, had old tires to dispose of, and had 5½ rims (it's easy to have different width rims put on if you're re-chroming). I called Perfect Custom Made Wheels (formerly Bolton's) in Gardena, CA. They quoted $ 160 to re-chrome one wheel.

As a reference point, Stoddards sells 15x4.5-inch Disc Brake Steel Wheel Chrome Plated for $ 385 and they claim they have the original German tooling. I don't know whether that's Lemmerz or KPZ.

By the way, it seems 911/912 wheels used slightly thicker metal for wheel centers (3.9 mm) than 356Cs (I think those were 3.7). I don't know what Stoddards uses.
    Last edited by NeunElf; 01-11-2017 at 11:13 AM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

I'd say 1200- 1400 for a set of 5 date matched wheels that need attention (paint and or chrome)

~J~
    air cooled only

Quote Originally Posted by NeunElf View Post

As a reference point, Stoddards sells 15x4.5-inch Disc Brake Steel Wheel Chrome Plated for $ 385 and they claim they have the original German tooling. I don't know whether that's Lemmerz or KPZ.

By the way, it seems 911/912 wheels used slightly thicker metal for wheel centers (3.9 mm) than 356Cs (I think those were 3.7). I don't know what Stoddards uses.
    KPZ - I assume it is the same tool as the one of Peter Hoffman.
    3.7 has my 356sc.

6months ago 275 for garbage unrestored correct early date code Lemmerz Now I am seeing 150 to 200 for unrestored wheels each except for the very early 65 late 64's When they come up they have high asking prices because they are pretty much gone NLA
    KPZ Kronprinz is not as popular they have the same asking prices but are a slower sell for some reason. They are correct and identical.

Thank you all for your responses and the information. I appreciate it very much. The fellow from whom I purchased the car years ago (a good friend with whom I and he have had a falling out over an unrelated partnership) promised that I would get the original wheels after I purchased the car. Because we have had a falling out he has now refused to deliver them. So, I am in the market for a set of four. I do have the original spare.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Adam Wright at Unobtanium has a lot of wheel.

James Breazeale at European Auto Salvage Yard (EASY) is the other guy with a lot of old Porsche parts although he hasn't specifically mentioned wheels as often as Adam.

Chances are they're both at the LAX Hilton right now for the Lit Meet.

You might also check the 356 Registry classifieds and The Samba.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet