Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FS: @Mecum - 1970 2.2L Sepia 911 S

Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer View Post
    Lots of issues with this car if expected to bring top value. Too low, dash trim wrong, engine compartment body color instead of black, rockers body color instead of black, below dash body color instead of black, missing black trim around door edges, door pocket missing, wheels don't look properly finished...
    And that is just from a few pics.
    Good cars with good details still bring big $$$
    Again I like the color...... so that is not an issue for me but certainly an influence on the buyers. I think this was a strong number for this car.... $160,000 + 16,000 commission= $176,000. This is big money.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

When a car doesn't sell or meet its reserve either at a major auction or on ebay... USUALLY the REAL money was much less...
    Many times cars get bid up to try and catch a real bidder or under bidder who thinks they may have made a mistake by not bidding more.

Quote Originally Posted by vtacarguy View Post
    When a car doesn't sell or meet its reserve either at a major auction or on ebay... USUALLY the REAL money was much less...
    Many times cars get bid up to try and catch a real bidder or under bidder who thinks they may have made a mistake by not bidding more.
    Please explain in greater detail........ are we talking shill bids..... this was discussed elsewhere and I did not understand the concept......

explain "Catch a real bidder"

Previous posts . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post902899
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post598993
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post668026
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Mecum Auction Kissimmee, FL, January 6-15, 2017
    1970 Porsche 2.2L 911S Coupe, Lot S247
    VIN: 9110300331
    Engine: 6300487
    Trans: 7102950
    Color: Sepia Brown (7474)/Russet(?)
    Mileage: 22,263 (indicated)
    Auction Estimate: US$175,000 - $225,000
    Sold for: NO SALE (highest bid: US$160,000)

70S 1.jpg
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

Quote Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
    Please explain in greater detail........ are we talking shill bids..... this was discussed elsewhere and I did not understand the concept......

explain "Catch a real bidder"
    Yes shill/house bids it up close to the known reserve trying to entice a real bidder to jump in and make the reserve so a sale takes place.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

The word sepia caught my attention and then I had to read this thread. When sepia brown is all shined up, it looks great; however, it can also look mundane and dull. The argument about the color will never end. What other colors create so much debate? Someday, when this very nice brown car is sold, I guess I will find out what the discount will be for the brown color. My thinking is the originality, the long history of ownership, the awards, and maybe the story will drive the price. Not many buyers are out there are looking for a brown Porsche, but some do value originality and history.

All the threads that include the word sepia are read!

And, I am a sucker for a magazine cover with a sepia Porsche on the cover.

And, I always look for brown cars everywhere.
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia911S View Post
    ...What other colors create so much debate?
    Sand Beige (ask me how I know ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by jimhuiz View Post
    Sand Beige (ask me how I know ;-)
    im in the same boat.
    I have two 1969 sand beige tubs....
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

Yes... Auction houses sometimes (and ebay sellers) shill bid or bring the bid up close to the sellers bottom line or reserve and if a "REAL" bidder then places a bid a car will actually sell...

Btw.. In regards to this post, I am not saying Sepia cars are worth more or less than others... ANY Color and ANY auction house or ebay can have the same result

Quote Originally Posted by vtacarguy View Post
    Yes... Auction houses sometimes (and ebay sellers) shill bid or bring the bid up close to the sellers bottom line or reserve and if a "REAL" bidder then places a bid a car will actually sell...

Btw.. In regards to this post, I am not saying Sepia cars are worth more or less than others... ANY Color and ANY auction house or ebay can have the same result
    I will only participate in no reserve scenarios otherwise it appears they are a waste of time......