Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1978 Safari Porsche

1978 Safari Porsche

Hi guys,
    my name is Andreas and I’m a 52 old Austrian Porsche enthusiast.

While I’m starting to built an 1978 East African Safari replica which were originally driven by Björn Waldegård and Vic Preston jr. I would like to ask you for some help for the details especially on the interior as well as the special parts used to built this car.

I have contacted the Porsche archive in Stuttgart, but unfortunately they told me that they don’t support the built of a replica.

So if someone can support me with some info’s or pictures I will highly appreciate this.
    For example I have also seen on some photos that they have installed an additional oil-cooler underneath of the rear spoiler but had also one at the front.

There is obviously an additional oil tank in the trunk installed as well as a 16l wash-water tank, does anyone has an idea which they have used or where to get this.
    So if someone has more info’s on this cars, please share it with me.
    Thanks Andreas
    trunk.jpgenginebay.jpg

Welcome Andreas....

Interesting project...
    Thank you for your forum choice...
    I believe you came to the right place...

Good luck,
    cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Hello Chuck,

thanks for the welcome! I'll keep you updated on my project.
    Thanks Andreas

Safari

Factory Safari photos...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry

Safari

Factory Safari photos...2
    Ernie W

Thumbs up

What'did'I'tell'ya !!!!!! .... Ernie, you'da'man...

This will probably get you started Andreas....

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Safari

Missed this one...had to look close. Hope this helps Andreas...and thanks Chuck. This build has created a lot of interest...and thanks Randy for the story on the RS rally car in Pano, saw that at Laguna...the oil system was way cool...
    Ernie W

Hello Ernie!

Thanks for these great photos and as Chuck mentioned this will help me on my project!

In the meantime I have found out (puplished by LittlePorker-Fan on http://www.carpassion.com/) that Porsche built 4 cars for this rally.

Three of them where driving on theSafari 1978:
    License plate S-DE 6392 = without a number and not used on the compition = Roland Kußmaul and his navigator Jürgen Barth (Fin. No. 9118301446)
    License plate S-DE 6393 = number 14 = Preston jr./Lyall (Fin. No. 9118301474)
    License plate S-DE 6394 = Nummer 5 = Waldegaard / Thorszelius (Fin. No. 9118301476)
    Fin. No. 9118301446 - was a Servicar - and should be actually in the Netherlands according to the forum threat.

While looking on different photos on the internet, I think the Porsche Museum owns all three cars and is showing displaying the car from Roland Kußmaul and his navigator Jürgen Barth at least sometimes with the No. 5 (see attached photos)

The one photo taken by the sound night 2014 is in my opinion the original No. 5 from Waldegaard / Thorszelius
    Porsche Sound Nacht 2014_2.jpg
    The difference are the black horns and the font's used for the drivers name

The other photo is taken at the Porsche Museum (also mentioned No. 5) but you can see the license plate S-DE 6392 (which was the car from Roland Kußmaul/ Jürgen Barth
    Porsche Museum.jpg

I have sent my question to the Porsche archive and will look forward for their answer.
    I will be on the 22nd of February in Stuttgart at the Museum and will have a personal look on these cars, because my intention is to be as close as possible with my replica to the cars used 1978.

Thanks again and I will keep you updated on this project.

Andreas

Have you read Kussmaul Chronicles? Very good book if you like rally car details.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Hello Max,

thanks for this info! I have just ordered the book.

best regards

Andreas