Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Motoring as we know it is dying....

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar

Motoring as we know it is dying....

http://www.stanceworks.com/2017/02/m...t-an-obituary/

Posting my most recent article. I wanted to have a discussion here on this topic. What do you guys think?
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Easy fix- move to Texas. Drive all year round, lots of Oil (gas) and cars aren't going anywhere for a long, long, time. It is 80 degrees here and I will be driving my Porsche home tonight with the top down.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Kris,

Your topical thread fits better over here for all who still enjoy the ride no mater what their wheels are attached to....

I agree that the visceral sensory circle of our passion is getting smaller.... but perhaps more resolute for us that resist, endure, and still smile at the next set of turns...

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Our motoring interest/hobby will go the way of equestrians to horses. Hopefully there will still be some specialty gasoline stations remaining and we won't be banished entirely from the public roads.
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

Nice musings....great observations.
    I agree that the thrill of driving is largely lost on today's youth.
    In my day, a car meant freedom, independence and escape.
    Today's youth finds all that on the interweb, preferring to drive a mouse than a car.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Hogwash.

I initially took a dark view on this topic, too, but I think predictions of the end are premature.

Also, in a rare case where I agree with this guy on something...I think he's got a smarter perspective on this than most of the media.
    http://www.thedrive.com/opinion/6384...ustry-is-wrong

Oh yeah, and: LOVE the shot with that red decklid aglow. Just wonderful.

or learn to drive a flying drone
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

I agree we'll have a decline, but see the good points of that ... the fewer, the better ... less people on the road, loads of spare available from stalled projects, less irrelevant "glamour", back to basic ...
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

It will probably evolve to enthusiasts driving old (literally) internal combustion engine-based cars and the rest being driven by fuel cell-based robotic cars. I know at one point in my college days that I envisioned converting my car to somehow run on ethanol (heck, Indy cars run on methanol, right?) and then just brew my own fuel...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100