Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Real ST/GT Steering Wheel?

Real ST/GT Steering Wheel?

Ok, I am trying to help out a friend here who has what I believe to be a real RSR wheel, part # is 914.347.803.10 and dated 4/70. Looks like it still has the original thick leather wrap on it. This friends Dad worked at Porsche for over 30 years and this wheel was found in storage after he passed. Trying to help with a value on this and also authenticate it as an RSR wheel.

Go to post #27 for better pictures of the wheel.
    Last edited by mfitton; 02-22-2017 at 03:33 PM.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

cornpanzer, where are you?

Wasnt the 803.10 wheel the hard rubber 914/6 wheel?

Like Gearby, not sure that is the RS/R wheel number.

If it helps your friend I can confirm that the number on my RS that I've owned since early nineties with low PO is same number as Jeff's (mobius) long term owner RS on the link below. Highly likely my wheel is original to as still has the original rare survivor horn push exclusive to early RS in fragile plastic,original patinated but sound leather never been recovered. I'm in touch with the POs and people who drove car since 80s and no reason to think it is not as it was originally.

In the picture of friend's wheel it looks like it has metal rather than the plastic horn push, correct? This is what an original plastic horn push from early RS looks like if it helps Name:  image.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  83.0 KB

Solid plastic self coloured material so no metal visible in worn areas as illustrated in the close up picture on the one on 12/72 production RS. May not be definitive as many horn pushes broke and got replaced (and plastic was discontinued in Feb 73 roughly at end of first series IIRC) however the presence of the rare plastic push on a wheel of that date along with other features and numbers consistent with RS such as mine and Jaff's certainly would have helped with your friend's RS/R wheel provenance /authentication question.

Hope this comparison to a wheel still attached to another known factory authenticated long term owned RS car vs another RS/R part "in the wild" helps answer your query?

I'm not in market for a wheel so not fussed either way on what is concluded but happy to share datapoints to help your question. Would be interesting to hear form long term owners of RS/R that have a reasonably strong provenance chain of the car plus original wheel what is fitted
    AtB

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-07-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearby View Post
    Wasnt the 803.10 wheel the hard rubber 914/6 wheel?

Post #53: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...al+wheel+stand
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White

RSR part number has been confirmed in the past on this board as 803.10. The original wrap an this wheel is extra thick, more so than a typical double wrap by say Dallas Custom. I am trying to get a measurement of the thickness on this wrap.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White

So after reading that post, does that mean that they took the hard rubber 914-6 wheel and double wrapped it for use in the RSR's?

Quote Originally Posted by Gearby View Post
    So after reading that post, does that mean that they took the hard rubber 914-6 wheel and double wrapped it for use in the RSR's?
    Yes, but I think the reason was that the hard rubber 803.10 was a thicker base to start with than the 806.10 & 805.10, at least that is what I picked up in earlier threads. If you look at the wheel above it is very thick. Hope the experts chime in.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White

Just read the original order documentation and conversion order details papers that were used when ordering RS/R back in 72/3.

(These came to me among my car's paperwork when I aquired it and from conversations with Dr K and other model researchers who go back before the model became fashionable it seems likley from date thst they were picked up by the first owner when collecting the car from importer and driving it on trade plates to the UK dealer prior to registration.)

There is no mention in the list of the Conversion order to RSR the steering wheel being part changed vs RS whereas it does list all the other items that were upgraded in 491 conversion

The conversion order does state that on the RS it has the 380 "competition wheel" however.

Taking it at face value it doesn't look like the RS wheel was specifically upgraded in the RS to RSR m491 conversion so comparison to what is fitted to examples RS such as Jefs's photo etc may be valid in debates about provenance.

While this old paperwork may not be definitive it is certainly original factory internal to business specification paperwork about the RS / R from when model was brand new. Not a customer glossy. It is one reference from back in the day.

As stated I don't have an axe to grind on this particular wheel and pleased the owner is hopeful he has found something special.

RSR is niche conversion order variant of RS model so happy to learn,my questions are:
    - is there a direct trail of 803.10 being on a example RSR car(s) where it is known to have had that wheel through its life?
    - are there factory documents from back in the day that show the wheel number fitted to known RS (like Jeff picture) was actually swapped out to fit a 803.10 "RSR wheel" as part of the factory conversion order to m491.
    for me that would be evidence of 803.10 being RSR wheel.

More generally speaking I'm constantly amazed how many RS/RSR parts are found kicking around loose vs the number of parts on the finite number known original cars.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 02-07-2017 at 10:47 PM.

More research here, start at post #14 thru #17: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...al+wheel+stand
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White