Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone vacation with your car in Europe?

Anyone vacation with your car in Europe?

Hi,

My wife and I are planning a long(ish) trip to England this Summer and it occurred to me that I might ship my car there and have it waiting. Aside from making sure that my insurance would cover such a trip, I'm trying to get information from anyone who has done something similar. Can anyone recommend a service that will handle most of the legalities and paperwork (and actual transportation)? Any first-hand experiences with such a trip? Yes, I know it will not be cheap, but life is short.

Thanks in advance.

-Mike

Hey Mike,

That's a great idea! It would be a memorable trip. Try Gytis Kupinas at autoparts.us@gmail.com. He has first-hand knowledge on shipping to and from Europe.
    Lee Fishpaw

O Gruppe #20
    Early S Reg #2175
    R Gruppe #714
    '70 914-6
    '88 911
    '85 928S
    '74 260Z
    '74 TR6

East Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by 767driver View Post
    Hey Mike,

That's a great idea! It would be a memorable trip. Try Gytis Kupinas at autoparts.us@gmail.com. He has first-hand knowledge on shipping to and from Europe.
    Mike,
    As Lee said, G would be the person I would reach out too..He's done a couple of these and is pretty well versed on navigating the shipping portion. Let me know if you need his contact info(cell).
    Sounds like a great trip..

OG3
    RG715

Thanks guys, I've reached out to Gytis but I'm still open to input and other suggestions in case he can't help.

Mike,

My. Bucket. List. Have fun! I know a few who have done that. I will reach out to see what I can find out. I do know of one fellow who shipped a Bugatti GP car there for a rally and it was a nightmare. He said never again via ship - only air. Can't remember the details, but it was an eye opening story.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Banned
    I do vacation with my Porsche.

Works well for holidays and makes a great bounce house for the kids.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks like it needs to fart

I was all set to fly a car over in 2013 for the Donau Masters Gumball. (Expensive) Renting definitely has advantages over shipping your own car.A friend ended up offering up a very nice 60's 280 SL I accepted and canceled the transport. People that flew their cars in arrived some 5 days earlier to ensure their cars arrived and that they cleared customs They also spent a lot of time after the rally shipping them back home. Seems like a lot of time wasted on receipt and sending. I was thrilled that I A) Did not have to lose time this way and B) did not have to worry about who was going to fix it if it broke down. Renting definitely has advantages and it is cheap by comparison to shipping IMO

I used to own a C2 Corvette and would frequent the Corvette Forum. Here's an interesting thread on a trip to Europe that the owner of a '66 Corvette took in 2012:

The car is packed and Europe awaits: by Jackfit

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...pe-awaits.html
    Brent
    '70 911S
    '68 TR250

Quote Originally Posted by trdking View Post
    I was all set to fly a car over in 2013 for the Donau Masters Gumball. (Expensive) Renting definitely has advantages over shipping your own car.A friend ended up offering up a very nice 60's 280 SL I accepted and canceled the transport. People that flew their cars in arrived some 5 days earlier to ensure their cars arrived and that they cleared customs They also spent a lot of time after the rally shipping them back home. Seems like a lot of time wasted on receipt and sending. I was thrilled that I A) Did not have to lose time this way and B) did not have to worry about who was going to fix it if it broke down. Renting definitely has advantages and it is cheap by comparison to shipping IMO
    Thanks. I looked into a rental Boxster for the 2+ weeks but it comes to over $5,000 which I think I could beat by shipping my car. Plus the fun of driving my own '67 will likely create memories which couldn't be matched by a Boxster. The early 911 community is strong in England and as a frequenter of the DDK forum I have no doubt that there is an amazing support structure in place should something go wrong with the car while I'm there.