Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sekurit glass on Carrera RS

Sekurit glass on Carrera RS

The RS book state that the carrera RS was produced with a thinner Sekurit glass, c.a 4mm width vs the c.a 5mm of the normal ones.

Does anyone know if that was produced on all cars, or only the early ones? Any photos of them? Does anyone reproduces them?
    Andrea
    Early S registry #1082

I think the glass was called glaverbel... if you search the forum you should find some info...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Glaverbel was used on the lightweight cars, except for the descending windows.
    Seems that a less fragile, but thinner than normal, Sekurit glass was used on all the RS, probably up to chssis 1000 or so.
    Andrea
    Early S registry #1082

Sekurit thin glass

I thought this would be an interesting note, re: Andrea's original question, Sekurit glass on Carrera RS. When Porsche built the 954 (1985?) A special lightweight glass was used, and made by Sekurit. It's 3.15mm and clear, NO TINT. The below photos show the details on the quarter glass with the Sports Dept. parts sticker, Sekurit logo. The rear window is heated by a single stage defrost element.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Ernie W
    member of Early 911S Registry

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    And remember normal clear glass is thinner than tinted. G.Led

gled49: Do you have an documentation or details about normal clear glass being thinner?

Thank you for the info, Ernie

The 954 (or 911 SC-RS) is a 1984 model-year only model.

Ernie, this is still fascinating. Are you able to confirm that all the glass pieces are 3.15mm? [Even thinner than early RS!]. I wish I had thought to measure this when I had the cars as we know that what they state is not always 100%..

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I measured the drivers door glass on my tinted car at 4.66mm. I believe clear glass is 4mm. Need someone to measure their clear glass car to confirm. G.Led

Here's an example of the specific (?) 2,7 Carrera RS thinner glass. Can anyone confirm if this is Carrera Rs specific, as outlined in the Carrera Rs book?

From a 2.4S
    Name:  IMG_1562.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  51.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_1564.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  59.1 KB

2.7 carrera RS, very original car, VIN #6xx. The code on the glass is different.

Name:  IMG_1565.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  56.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_1563.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  52.7 KB

another very original 2.7 RS

Name:  IMG_5588.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  74.4 KB
    Andrea
    Early S registry #1082