Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 912 restoration project

912 restoration project

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I'm currently restoring a 1968 912 and a 1973 911E. Hopefully I'm posting this in the right section.

Some referred me to the forum to help with a few questions I have.

Today I'm focusing on the 912, the car has a great interior but the front seats and steering wheel have been replaced at some point in the 80s. I'd like to put them back to original. I have been struggling to find what the original seats and steering wheel should look like.

Can anyone here help?

Thanks

I believe headrests weren't standard until a couple of months into the 68 model year. The standard steering wheel was plastic but a leather-covered wheel, or a wood wheel, was an option. The horn button may or may not have had "horns" sticking out from the center "puck". Both were available.
    1968-Porsche-912-1 (1).jpg
    1968 seat.jpg

Photo one looks right to me Post your vin and delivery date if you have one. The site will get closer. DO ou have a COA or Kardex?

That explains why I have been confused on this. I wasn't sure if some had been swapped with a later models sests

I have ordered a COA. Just waiting on it to arrive. I'll post the vin shortly. I'll dig through the paperwork I have to see if I have a delivery date. If not I'll post it when the COA arrives. It's been a few weeks now. So maybe this week or next

Note that the chrome recliners for 68 do not have the small black plastic release knob on the side...just three attachment screws.

With some luck the COA arrived today! I know now it should be a wood steering wheel. Is there just one style of wood wheel? and interior is listed as Type B. What does that mean?Screenshot_20170222-203731.jpg

SO how did you do? What is the engine trans numbers? Full pics of the car? Seats look correct for an early April 68 car

Sorry I'm sure I understand the question.

So it should be seats without the head rests?

I know it currently has a leather steering wheel instead of the wood. And it's currently painted black, which I knew wasn't original. I was intending on painting it, but had been waiting on finding out the original color.

The wheels I think might be from a newer Porsche also

Early 68 cars were head rest optional. Later 68 they were mandatory