Thread: Steel stamps - numbers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Steel stamps - numbers

Our car did not have the original fenders and I want to stamp in the last 3 numbers of the chassis into it.
    When you looking to the type/layout of these numbers you can see that these have a typical style.
    For example the '3' looks like this.
    I think that the size is 8mm

Name:  the_3.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  7.3 KB
    Last edited by Michael Winters; 02-26-2017 at 04:51 AM.

Banned
    Speechless.

Why do you want to stamp them?

Frank,

It is my personal car and I just try to match the details like they did before.
    Maybe it's just the idea or look...
    I know it are not the original fenders that were on the car but I don't see the problem why not doing it?

Banned
    For starters:

It has the appearance of fraud.

No matter what your real motive is the optics scream misrepresentation. Let's say you tell the next owner that you did it but he came down with short-term memory loss when he sold the car. (Funny how memories get clouded when $$ are at stake.)

There's a restored RS in the U.S. with a counterfeit case number. The owner may or may not know. If he sells the car for seven figures and the next guy finds out that the real case is out there he's not going to be very happy.

Frank,

I understand you and you have got a good point.
    When you do this with chassis/gearbox/engine you are 200% correct.
    I don't go to start a discussion what you can't/can do with your own personal car (in this case headlight bucket).

But thanks for the advice! So I understand it's better to don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    For starters:

No matter what your real motive is the optics scream misrepresentation. Let's say you tell the next owner that you did it but he came down with short term memory loss when he sold the car. (Funny how memories get clouded when $$ are at stake.)

There's a restored RS in the U.S. with a counterfeit case number. The owner may or may not know. If he sells the car for seven figures and the next guy finds out that the real case is out there he's not going to be very happy.

Banned
    Keep in mind:

Someday your car will be someone else's car.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    For starters:

No matter what your real motive is the optics scream misrepresentation. Let's say you tell the next owner that you did it but he came down with short-term memory loss when he sold the car. (Funny how memories get clouded when $$ are at stake.)

WOW Does this sort of thing really happen

Fraud is the intent to deceive with the hope of financial or personal gain. Dog leg fender repair. Fraud if not revealed? NOS part replacement if not revealed. Fraud? Original headlight bucket inserted in another fender. Fraud? Dashboard repainted and yellow crayon vin number redrawn. Fraud? The act of not revealing is the fraud. Full disclosure cures all possibility of fraud. Caveat emptor/buyer beware are not recent inventions. Probably 50% of all Porsches from our coveted vintages are frauds by your standards. Sistine Chapel cleaned and repainted. Catholic church a fraudster? Watch out Eric. They will be coming for you when a purist discovers a pair of your perfect plyer repros in an alleged original tool kit. By the way shouldn't we close down the for sale section of this site to avoid further fraud. Get real.

Retired lawyer
    Last edited by doigthom; 02-27-2017 at 03:50 AM.