Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Steel stamps - numbers

I'll take one of Freddie's cars anytime even without crayon disclosure. I believe I read Porsche Classic restamps. How many real '54 Ferrari exist? Its been fun but I have to go back to reviewing my Russian bride picks from my latest e-mail. I think they are trying to commit fraud by substituting some Estonian beauties. By the way do you and the Donald get up at the same time? What time is it in Arizona when you start to review the for sale section to beat us Easteners out of the bargains. Just kidding.

I don't know if anybody has noted but there are now commercial ads at the bottom of each thread. Great because it helps support the Registry. I noted at the bottom of this thread 8 ads for steel number stamps. Just sayin. Back to the Russian brides
    Last edited by doigthom; 02-27-2017 at 08:12 AM.

That is so funny. Good ol Google Getting their ad ware working

Does anyone knows if it was also possible that a car did not have any stampings on his engine lis/doors/fenders?
    That he had no body parts stamped except from the chassis?
    It would be a car that did not need any custom fittings?
    Or doesn't that exists with 65-66 cars?

Not an expert but I believe a blank engine case means it was probably replacement engine from Porsche. May be reflected on Kardex. Replaced my fenders on my '68 912 back in '79 with Porsche replacement parts. No numbers. Just a suggestion.

Thanks for reply.
    I wanted to say if there are cars that left the factory without any stamps on doorpanels/front fenders or engine lid.
    Don't know if that was possible or not.

Quote Originally Posted by doigthom View Post
    Not an expert but I believe a blank engine case means it was probably replacement engine from Porsche. May be reflected on Kardex. Replaced my fenders on my '68 912 back in '79 with Porsche replacement parts. No numbers. Just a suggestion.

Restamping is a fraud, period, end of discussion.
    Porsche 935 DP1 Zirkelbach
    930/10
    Resale red

Porsche 911, 1971
    2.5L on Webers
    Silvermetallic

Quote Originally Posted by jesseandersson View Post
    Restamping is a fraud, period, end of discussion.
    +1.............

My car doesn't have completely matching numbers on the panels from the factory. My trunk and dash vin numbers end in 7, my doors and tunnel end in 9. I suppose sometimes things didn't fit well or whatever and they used what they had. I wouldn't worry about it.

Jesse

Is it fraud in the factum or fraud in the inducement? Show me your admission certificate to the highest court in Sweden and I'll show you mine to the US Supreme Court. How about this for an example. I'm a stickler for perfection and I finally decide that my Porsche original replacement fenders on my 912 are driving me nuts and I have to stamp them to bring it closer to perfection in my eyes. I do that on Monday and die in my sleep. Two weeks later my wife puts the car up for sale and the prospective buyer decides, before purchasing it, he will have a PPI done. Despite his loathing for 912s Frank Beck agrees to do the PPI since the purchaser is his good friend. Assuming I was skillful enough to do the stamping proficiently and Frank cannot tell they are replacement fenders, the buyer pays good value for the car. Assume further that my wife didn't have a clue as to anything I did on the car. Fraud on her part or negligence (doubtful) on Frank's part in examining the car? Is the car guilty of fraud for merely presenting itself? Am I, now deceased, guilty of fraud, even though my unexpressed motive would probably vitiate any guilt. Be careful when you use the word fraud because there are also libel laws.

I value originality as much as the next guy. Bought my '67 912 targa (next in line after the 911S targa) without an engine. Took me several months to find the original engine and probably paid more for the long block than I should have. As Voltaire and Sean Spicer have said "perfection is the enemy of good". I say it also promotes insanity.